Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What's the point of staying with Sky now?

This is a discussion on What's the point of staying with Sky now? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I pay 40 a month for my Sky+ (non-HD) service, including Sky Sports. I'm thinking of cancelling because I just ...

Scramble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Grantham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

What's the point of staying with Sky now?

I pay 40 a month for my Sky+ (non-HD) service, including Sky Sports. I'm thinking of cancelling because I just can't see the point of Sky any more. I mainly just want shows for the kids, and the cricket, but I don't have to time watch anything but the highlights these days, and I can watch them on ITV4, which is Freeview. I don't watch football. I don't watch Sky 1 much (the wife dos a bit, but she isn't that attached to it). I don't watch all the obscure channels you can only get on Sky. I don't want movies. I don't care about moving to HD, the picture on my HD TV is great enough anyway. I do use Sky+ a lot, esp, for shows for the kids (it's invaluable for that), but I can get the same thing these days by buying my own digital recorder, right? So I'm wondering why I'm giving away 40 a month for a service I don't really need.

It might sound like I've made my mind up so why am I posting, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm overlooking. It feels strange to be contemplating giving Sky up after all these years, but what reason is there to stay with Sky these days if you aren't a football fan, and you're not addicted to some US show on Sky 1? Is there an advantage I'm forgetting?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What's the point of staying with Sky now?

If you don't want it don't pay for it, it is really a personal choice, nobody can decide for you one way or the other.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

From what you say I would say it isn't worth keeping it, and a saving off 40 a month equals 480 a year.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Why not simply take the Sky Viewing Card out of the box for a week and see what you really miss, then decide if it's worth 1.50 a day!

If you keep your existing Sky box and simply cancel the contract the Sky Viewing Card will revert to Freesat from Sky and you will receive a few more channels than you would with Freeview without making any changes to your set up.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Why not cancel Sports for a start off and any entertainment packs you don't use, that should halve your sub for a start.

Maybe a few less visits to the Admiral Rodney.