Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

6 Apartment Communal dish issue - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

This is a discussion on 6 Apartment Communal dish issue - PLEASE HELP!!!!! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am pulling my hair out trying to resolve an ...

Halleyelec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

6 Apartment Communal dish issue - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am pulling my hair out trying to resolve an issue with my Sky+.

To cut a short story shorter, We had an issue 3 months ago whereby the satellite distrubutor feeding the apartments failed and subsequently we went from a great signal, to very low quailty and then no signal. This is only a one signal feed by the way. It apparently costs thousands to update the building for Sky+!!!

We had an engineer assess the problem and the building management company replaced the 500 distributor.

Everything seemed fine until the beginning of last week when our signal level was very low, resulting in sqeaking and 'pixilated' satellite image.

I called the engineer again and asked if it would be ok to check the distributor. He told me everything was perfect and was recieving a 70db signal and but the time it reached the tv would be about 60 65db.

He suggested that it may be a problem inside our apartment.

Now I don't know if its the sky box itself (because it tends not to respond to the remote, even with new batteries....but I don't know) or whether it could be the actual cables going from the distributor into our apartment.

Firstly, my question is has anyone any ideas what else this could be?

Secondly, if it is the cables, surely this should come under the responsibility of the building management which took the contract on from when they were first built? I don't want to have to pay for something that is not our fault!

I hope someone can help

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: 6 Apartment Communal dish issue - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

What is the Make/Model of your digibox?? Is anyone else in the block getting the same problems??
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Thanks

Its an Amstrad one (white box)and I'm still yet to confirm if anyone else has sky as no one is ever in when I knock!!!

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

It's important to check if anyone else has the same problems. If so, it'll probably be a communal system fault - maybe dish alignment, LNB faulty, or the cabling itself ( old?? ). It's anyone's guess.

On the other hand it may be your digibox, and the only way to check that is to try another receiver on your setup. Not always possible, I know, but it often helps to narrow down where the fault is. Have you recently bought a new extension cable from the wallplate to the digibox?
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If the distribution amp only has to do 6 apartments then there is no way it would cost 500 to replace.

They could have easily done it with one standard dish and an octo LNB if they only needed one feed per apartment, that would have been less than 30 without the cables.

Unless you can either get confirmation from another person that they have problems or test with a different working receiver there is little that can be done.

Thanks

OK, I'll go and knock today and see if anyone else has Sky, if so, I'm hoping that will be the end of it!!!

When we moved into the apartment 6 months ago I bought 2 brand new cables to go from the wall plate to the sky box.

I'll let you know what I find out....thanks for the advice so far!

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is this one of the new Amstrad 1TB boxes ? They are known to have problems with unresponsiveness to the remote control (and some other alleged issues). Also, DECT base stations too close to the Sky box wiring can cause problems.