Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor reception rf2 Sky+hd box

This is a discussion on Poor reception rf2 Sky+hd box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I wonder if someone could give me a bit of advice.I have installed a 20 metre coaxial cable from my ...

glenby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Poor reception rf2 Sky+hd box

I wonder if someone could give me a bit of advice.I have installed a 20 metre coaxial cable from my sky+hd box to my sons bedroom using rf2.His tv is a brand new lcd .The picture on all the freeview channels is perfect but not sky which is very pale and grainy.I have opened the installers menu and it is set to channel 68 which I believe is the default.Do I need to turn on the 'RF Outlet Power Supply' or is this just for a magic eye? I understand this supplies power to the cable so I'm a bit worried it may damage the tv.
      I have been advised to try different rf channel numbers which doesn't seem to make any difference.I'm on the Lichfield (West Midlands) transmitter if its any help.
      It's a new co-axial cable with no connectors in it so I'm sure its just something I've not set properly in the skybox.
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Poor reception rf2 Sky+hd box

No need for power unless you are using a magic eye and it won't break the TV anyway.

You just need to use trial and error to get a clear frequency, start at 21 and go up in 4's. Remember to save the settings.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for reply mate.I've tried 21,25,29 at the moment ,now getting sky on perfectly and poor reception on freeview.Will have to do the rest tomorrow.
      Thanks

leoskeete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I also have a second tele working on the rf2 from a standard box. I had an old 14" LCD on it which worked fine until I bought a new LED tele and now the picture is grainy and a message saying poor signal keeps coming up. presumably the same answer applies ??
      Secondly though I am considering getting HD. Anyone know how I would get the HD signal to go to the second televison ? Also I have a magic eye now but I'd imagine this wouldnt work on HD or would it ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leoskeete View Post
      I also have a second tele working on the rf2 from a standard box. I had an old 14" LCD on it which worked fine until I bought a new LED tele and now the picture is grainy and a message saying poor signal keeps coming up. presumably the same answer applies ??
      Secondly though I am considering getting HD. Anyone know how I would get the HD signal to go to the second televison ? Also I have a magic eye now but I'd imagine this wouldnt work on HD or would it ?
      If it worked on the old TV it should be no different on the new one other than just tuning it in, if that doesn't fix it then check the coax connectors and ensure you haven't loosened them when you swapped the TV's over.

You can get a picture on a HD TV using the RF2 out but it will not be in HD, the only way to do this is to get a HDMI splitter and run in a long HDMI cable.

leoskeete is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks. I thought that may be the answer. Do you reckon I need a booster as well because it'll be a 20m cable run. I've had a good look for an HDMI magic eye but cant see one anywhere and also dont know if the signal would find its way back through the splitter. Its a conundrum but as the song says - you cant always get what you want.

Thanks

If you want to run a magic eye from the TV you willneed a coax run as well, HDMI will not allow for the magic eye.

As for distance on HDMI, trial and error i'm afraid, it may be fine or you may need to boost it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just thought I post back to let you know I've sorted it now although the sky picture is far from perfect but watchable .I settled on channel 29.I got a perfect sky picture on 21 but lost some of the freeview channels so had to go through all from 21-69.I tried in '4's'as suggested but couldn't get all satisfactory and then went through 'one by one' and rescanned new tv each time, without a doubt one of the most tedious things I've ever had to do .
      I'm wondering if this may be an lcd tv issue more than the sky box.
      Thanks.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

20 metres is quite a long run - you may benefit from an aerial amplifier, but make sure it's connected after the RF2 output..