Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky+ 2nd input intermittent loses signal

This is a discussion on Sky+ 2nd input intermittent loses signal within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello In the last few months we noticed Sky Anytime would always have stuttering playback. Checked signals and looked ok. ...

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Sky+ 2nd input intermittent loses signal

Hello

In the last few months we noticed Sky Anytime would always have stuttering playback. Checked signals and looked ok. Also tried pausing live tv and sometimes the paused channel would stutter. Happened to check signal and after watching it for a few minutes the "Not Locked" indicator would show and vanish.

Swapped input cables between 1 & 2 and the signal is fine on Input 1 but signal drops on input 2. This would show that the problem lies in the sky+ box.

The box is well out of contract now by over a year at least and don't want to pay anything (don't we all?) and wondered if anyone has had similar issues and what the usual cure is?

Was thinking of going HD and hoping to get a free box and pay 10 for a year as, although don't have an HD TV, the extra hard drive space would be useful (hard to upgrade IDE drives as most SATA now and ones that do work cause fan at back to run always).

Other than that, I will have to stump up 60(?) or so but again don't want to pay it (over 3 years with sky now).

All input (no pun intended) appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky+ 2nd input intermittent loses signal

I would go onto sky.com and login, then go to the sky customers' upgrades section and see what they have to offer. Or you can ring sky, and explain the problem. When they say "it's 65 for a call out", ask to be put through to the cancellations department. That usually does the trick, i.e. they may offer you a free call out and replace the box with a refurb with 3 months warranty.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Checked their website and they want 249 to upgrade to HD

When you say "ask to be put through to cancellations" what dept do you speak to prior to that and who is it that normally waives any fee - cancellations or other?

Don't think it would hurt sky to offer a 'free' call-out once a year esp. due to the kit being exposed to our glorious climate would it? Then again it's murdoch we are talking about!

As a side, do new sky+ boxes have sata drives and is there much luck using oem drives to upgrade their capacity which I presume, is still 160GB?

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You are supposed to be able to get your first Sky HD box free (500GB version). Even though I have already got an HD box which I paid full price for from a 3rd party (not subsidised by Sky) I can get a free Sky HD box if I take multiroom. New Sky HD boxes have 500GB SATA hard drives with 250GB allocated to Anytime. There is also an Amstrad 1TB version, or you can upgrade to a 1TB drive yourself for about 50 - 60. You can use a Seagate Pipeline HD ST31000322CS or a Western WD10EVDS very successfully as both are designed for/used in the Amstrad 1TB box. All boxes except the Amstrad DRX890/DRX895 are limited to 750GB, so you would have to format the drive using Copy+ on a PC/laptop before fitting it in the box. For out of warranty faults I would ring the normal Sky number 08442 414141 and select the TV faults option. Speak to them first, if no joy ask to be put through to Cancellations. Either department may offer a free call out, but it is more likely to be Cancellations as they don't want to lose the business.
      Last edited by jasonmark38; 05-10-10 at 02:27 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Do new or refurbished non-HD Sky+ boxes come with SATA drives and any successes with replacing those hard drives?

Thanks

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

As far as I know, all Sky+ boxes use IDE drives. These are now in short supply, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading the hard drive in these.
      It would be expensive. If you are looking to upgrade the hard drive, you would need to get a Sky HD box. You don't have to buy it from Sky.
      You also do not have to subscribe to HD, but will still receive the free to air HD channels. Effectively you can use a Sky HD box as a Sky+ box.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The sky hd boxes arent 320gb anymore jason, they've been 500gb since around the start of this year. I'm surprised noone has pointed this out, but is the original box a thomson? If so it's got faulty capacitors on its PSU which when replaced will fix your problem.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      The sky hd boxes arent 320gb anymore jason, they've been 500gb since around the start of this year.
      So even refurbished boxes are 500GB then? I have corrected my original post.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      The sky hd boxes arent 320gb anymore jason, they've been 500gb since around the start of this year. I'm surprised noone has pointed this out, but is the original box a thomson? If so it's got faulty capacitors on its PSU which when replaced will fix your problem.
      Amstrad box not Thompson.

Thanks for that. I have looked at the psu board and can see a few Electrolytic capacitors, the largest a 100microfarad 1000V one. None look 'puffy' so which ones out of interest.

Sky have agreed to send an engineer foc
      Last edited by geezerone; 05-10-10 at 03:26 PM.

jasonmark38 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The PSU is a known issue only on the Thomson, not the Amstrad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast