Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Installing sky without drilling through wall...

This is a discussion on Installing sky without drilling through wall... within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi there, I have just bought a flat with a lease that says no dishes erected on the outside walls ...

mihir121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Installing sky without drilling through wall...

Hi there,

I have just bought a flat with a lease that says no dishes erected on the outside walls etc. That's fine and understood. I am on the 1st floor and roof is just above me. Now my flat has 3 sockets coming into it, one is your normal aerial socket, then two others that are not being used at all. The seller told me these connect to the roof.

Sky are coming on Saturday and I just wanted to know if they would be able to look at that and the rood and immediately say yeah we can just wire it through one of those so you can have the dish on the roof as opposed to the wall.

Sorry if I havn't explained this well but basically just wondering if it's just very simple to do if the socket already exists and the wire simply needs to be put through.

Thanks
      m

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Installing sky without drilling through wall...

Are you sure there is not a communal dish available?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme, I should have been clearer. A communal dish is being installed on the 7th of October but my concern was that it could take longer than that. Sky have said it's fine, they will simply switch the wiring over once my communal dish is installed but just wanted to know if this installation will be fine and a normal sky engineer will be able to look at it and say yes, that is easy.

cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If there are 2 wires going to the roof and the owner does not object to a dish being placed there, it should be OK. The only problem may be access to the roof, if it is a flat roof with easy access an ordinary installer should be able to fix it. If it is a sloped roof with no access, Sky may have to send a heights team to fit the dish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Thanks

In this environment the biggest problem will be finding the cables going to your flat, most builders either label them incorrectly or dont label them at all. You may well be better waiting until the communal system is in and then get sky out to do the install.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

hmmm well the good thing is that i live in a block of 6 flats and I think the cables running down to mine are just for mine and the flat below mine and others are placed on the other side.

It is a flat roof with very very easy access and so that shouldn't be a problem, but i guess we will find out on saturday. But your responses have given me a bit more encouragement that it should be ok.

Cheers!

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mihir121 View Post
      Hi Isitme, I should have been clearer. A communal dish is being installed on the 7th of October but my concern was that it could take longer than that. Sky have said it's fine, they will simply switch the wiring over once my communal dish is installed but just wanted to know if this installation will be fine and a normal sky engineer will be able to look at it and say yes, that is easy.

cheers
      A Sky installer won't install to that set up. You'll need to wait until the communal dish is installed and the company fitting it will be able to sell you a Sky contract.