Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky + freezes when selecting Planner

This is a discussion on Sky + freezes when selecting Planner within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; What make of digibox? You might have one of the digiboxes ( Amstrad, Pace & Samsung ) that suffered over ...

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky + freezes when selecting Planner

What make of digibox? You might have one of the digiboxes ( Amstrad, Pace & Samsung ) that suffered over the weekend from corrupted downloads. Try disabling Anytime, then reboot the box at the mains. If all is OK, you can re-enable Anytime.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

2. Advertisement
      nandrews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Kenedin,

My problems started last week (Tues) so maybe predated the Anytime problem?
      But I will give it a whirl (if I can find how to disable it).
      Thanks
      Nigel
      P.S. If Sky created a problem thru' Anytime why haven't we heard from them?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nandrews View Post

...........My problems started last week (Tues) so maybe predated the Anytime problem?
      But I will give it a whirl (if I can find how to disable it).
      On the remote, press Services, Options, Customise, Enable Anytime. Change to OFF, and press green to Save Settings.

Your problem does seem to predate the Anytime nonsense over the weekend. Which make of box do you have?
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Kenedin,

I have disabled Anytime at your suggestion and then done a rebuild, powered off and on. I will try the Planner again in a moment when I have finished watching live stuff.
      Is there an easy way to find the box maknufacturer without crawling behind the cabinet? Maybe an ID in the set-up menus?
      Sorry to be a pain, when you are offering me help.

Thanks
      Nigel

Thanks

On the Sky remote, press Services, scroll right and press Settings, then select Details. The box details are there. The Manufacturer is on Page2/2.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that - Samsung
      I also blundered into Planner at the same time and discovered that it still locks up when I do!

So is there any hope now?

Thanks again
      Nigel

Thanks

You're not alone in having these problems. Your particular problem may be due to the Anytime issue, it may not, especially as it started over a week ago.. A lot of people whose problems started at the weekend are either waiting for a software update from Sky, have disabled then re-enabled Anytime, or have just opted to reset the box..

If your box problem is not related to Anytime, you may have a hard drive issue, in which case try a System Reset anyway. On the Sky remote, press Services, 0, 0, 1, & press Select, then 8 ( System Reset ). Please note there is no onscreen response as you press the second '0' & '1' - just press the sequence anyway. Then press Select to continue. Remember your recordings will be wiped. If that doesn't work, you'll have to phone Sky for a callout.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Kenedin,

Yes it looks like the harddisk is the problem.
      I just paused a live program and tho' it unpaused OK, when I got to the end I could not change channels or anything. In other words it had frozen up as before, although the 'delayed' program carried on playing, so the hard disk must have been recording and playing that somehow.
      I will try the system reset when I get courage - I have/had loads of stuff recorded over many months! This maybe the original cause - that the disk was pretty full.

The first problem I had, months ago, was that the box would sometimes not turn on (come out of standby) so had to pull the power to get it back. Sky advise a procedure to 'clear' that, but only after I checked did they tell me it would wipe all my recordings! So that likely was a system reset. I didn;t want to lose everything while I could still access it.

I am well beyond the year since install and did not pay for extended cover, so I am on my own. Probably why it's gone wrong now!!

Thanks
      Nigel

Thanks

You could always Copy+ the contents of your hard drive to your pc before doing the System Reset. At least then you'll have the possibility ( not guarantee ) of keeping them, and restoring them to another digibox if you get a replacement. That assumes that you are not affected by the Anytime/Planner issue of last weekend. Someone on another forum did that, with the result that he apparently copied over the fault itself in the Planner onto the Copy+ image on the pc. So no joy when he restored them to a different drive.

Can't think of anything other than a System Reset now to try to sort this. I don't think even a forced software update will achieve anything unless you want to try it. It may indeed be an early Anytime issue that Sky will eventually correct. Who knows? It's up to you.

I don't know what packages you have with Sky, but you could phone them as a valued customer ( lol ) and haggle for a free callout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12