Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ HD Install Issue

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD Install Issue within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Posted this in the wrong section before and got a few replys but posting here now in correct place to ...

Watts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ HD Install Issue

Posted this in the wrong section before and got a few replys but posting here now in correct place to get a few more opinions.....

Previously had Sky 5 years ago and cancelled and last week decided to rejoin. So the install guy comes out this morning and says he wanted to test the old cable that was still there which just lies going nowhere, so he tests it and gets no signal?

Then he advises me I cant have Sky because that says no signal and says its due to the tall trees 40 foot infront of my house. He then phones Sky up and cancels my order..?

I asked if it could not be tested as we had issues with our actual dish before we cancelled and the cable has been lying disconnected for 5 years, could there be an issue with the dish/cable? He says no, wont work and left?

Is this correct? Can cables unused and lying for that time have issues, or my old dish, which has got rather rusted and been up for 16 years and unused for 5 also?

I called back unhappy and explained and they rebooked for a special heights team to try get above trees also incase exsisting cable was ok?

Worst bit is my neighbour has Sky... dish points at same trees, works fine?

Just looking for some words of advice.....

Please do not duplicate posts, it only causes confusion. Use this thread http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...all-issue.html
      Last edited by Isitme; 13-09-10 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

2. Advertisement
      MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD Install Issue

Typical useful life of unprotected coaxial cable outdoors is 5 years. (If the cable end is left disconnected it's more like 5 days, in rain.)

You can extend the life of the cable by painting it to minimise the effect of ultraviolet light and by ensuring that it can't move around on windy days (which will abrade the outer sheath and let water inside).

On no account let them use the existing cable!
      You can easily take a sighting on the trees from your dish location. If max tree height is at less than 20 degree elevation, there will be no problem. Check direction with compass and use a school protractor attached to a piece of plastic tube at 20 degrees (to look through).

Get the direction from here:-
      How to use the SatCure Satellite Finder Signal Meter