Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Second hand Sky+ or HD boxes - any to look out for, or to avoid?

This is a discussion on Second hand Sky+ or HD boxes - any to look out for, or to avoid? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi folks, I'm thinking about looking for a cheap second hand Sky+, or Sky+ HD box, are there any models ...

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Second hand Sky+ or HD boxes - any to look out for, or to avoid?

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about looking for a cheap second hand Sky+, or Sky+ HD box, are there any models I should avoid at all costs - e.g. bad picture quality, prone to crashing or failure? Easily fixable issues such as needing a few capacitors replaced wouldn't be too bad, as I can solder ok. I would buy a new HD one from Sky, but as record is disabled if you leave, if I'm going to spend that sort of money, then I'd sooner put it towards a humax freesat+ HD box.

I gather I'll probably have to replace my dish, as the arm for the LNB is too small to accept the adaptors for the current Sky quad LNBs (my arms outside dimensions are about 25mm x 10mm) and the dish is about 7 or 8 years old. Is it worth paying a little extra for a zone 2 60cm dish, even though I live in Essex? I currently have frequent problems with picture break up, and also no signal in heavy rain.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Second hand Sky+ or HD boxes - any to look out for, or to avoid?

If you have not had a free HD box from Sky you will get one very cheap, for the cost of installation really. Sky+HD Upgrade - Free Sky+HD Box  - Upgrade Now

This would include installing a new dish and LNB if required plus the necessary cables.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have not had a free HD box from Sky you will get one very cheap, for the cost of installation really. Sky+HD Upgrade - Free Sky+HD Box* - Upgrade Now

This would include installing a new dish and LNB if required plus the necessary cables.
      Thanks, but that's 120 for a year's HD subscription + 60 for an install, so 180 all in. I could get a humax for ~210 and if I install it myself, a new dish seems to be around 40. I don't currently have a HD TV, I'm still using a 36" CRT so I wouldn't benefit from a HD subscription. When I do replace my TV I'll probably get a Freesat+ HD box - hopefuly one with better features like Canvas and media streaming will be available by then.
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 05-09-10 at 09:33 PM.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Thanks

I'll answer your other question RE makes of hd boxes:
      Thomson - Guaranteed PSU failure if you buy one of these make sure it has been upgraded with a satcure PSU kit, good SD and HD pic quality
      Pace - Best SD and HD pic quality, first batch of boxes were recalled to have cable ties fitted
      Amstrad DRX780 - Worst SD pic quality, prone to being slow and frequently unreliable if you upgrade the hard drive
      Samsung HDSKY - Similar to the thomson on pic quality, fussy with upgrade hard drives though
      Amstrad DRX890 - Smaller version of the box, very fast and responsive, sd pic quality still not as good as thomson/pace. Runs hot and has been known to overheat.
      Amstrad DRX895 - 1tb version of DRX890

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      When I do replace my TV I'll probably get a Freesat+ HD box - hopefuly one with better features like Canvas and media streaming will be available by then.
      You never know, there may even be HD channels other than BBC & ITV1 to watch on it as well!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you scroll down the page I linked you will see if you don't have an HD capable TV you can get a Sky+ box for 159, fully fitted. As they do not supply Sky+ boxes now, you will get an HD box which will receive all the HD channels you will receive with a Humax at less cost.

The downside with the Humax is that you can only use it for Freesat. The downside with the Sky box, you can only use it with Sky and need a Sky subscription, at least for the first 12 months..

The only decision you have to make really is, do you want Freeview or Sky?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you scroll down the page I linked you will see if you don't have an HD capable TV you can get a Sky+ box for 159, fully fitted. As they do not supply Sky+ boxes now, you will get an HD box which will receive all the HD channels you will receive with a Humax at less cost.
      That's a little bit cheaper, but still a bit more than I want to pay for a box that won't record without a subscription, and so would cease to be of any use to me if I ever cancel sky.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

There is another reason for wanting an SD box, which has been highlighted in another thread. If you have an HD box, you get Anytime with HD channels, which you won't be able to watch without an HD subscription. If you get an SD box, you will get Anytime in SD.