Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

losing compensation due to upgrade.

This is a discussion on losing compensation due to upgrade. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I recently joined up to sky+ HD and got free installation. This was booked for the am. The engineers didnt ...

JFraser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: None
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

losing compensation due to upgrade.

I recently joined up to sky+ HD and got free installation. This was booked for the am. The engineers didnt arrive until the pm, plus a week later the LNB fell off the dish due to poor installation and i had to take another dya off work to get this fixed!

I complained to sky and they apologised and gave me 25% discount off my subscription (minus HD) for 6 months (worked out about £6 a month, £36 in total). This was ok, but still not anywhere near what i lost in earnings, having to stay home and wait for engineers, but i took it as an ok apology.

Anyway, After two months of watching, i wanted to make some changes. I wanterd to get rid of two packs, plus add sky sports pack. I was told on the phone this would mean losing my 25% discount and it could not be put back on afterwards! However in an email, I was told I could retain the discount, plus get it off my sports pack....Im confused....has anyone been in a similar position and how should i upgrade...(phoning will surely result in the same as before - being told i would loose my discount).

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: losing compensation due to upgrade.

Normally if you change your package you loose any discounts you may have, not sure why it is like this, it does seem stupid but I imagine it is because the standard telesales are not allowed to discount so cannot add it back on after the alteration.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with the above, I have seen other people saying the same. I have got 20% off for six months and there is no way I am going to change anything as I would probably loose the discount. It does seem crazy especially if you are adding the premium channels like sports so would be willing to pay them more. Personally I can't see why they can't apply it, perhaps it is down to a limitation on their system.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Maybe the system wont allow it, but someone, somewhere can add the discount on surely, as they added a discount in the first place? Why cant they take it off when i upgrade, then put it back on?

Anyways, here is the email they sent, which is confusing me:

Dear Mr Fraser

Customer Account Number: XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your email regarding the offer that has currently been applied to your account.
      Iím very sorry for the poor service youíve received and apologise for any inconvenience youíve suffered as a result of this.

I am able to confirm the discount that you are currently recieving on your account is only applicable to your TV subscription and as such does not discount the HD subscription service. At the present time HD is classified as a service over and above your normal entertainment television package, as such the discount which has been applied to your most recent bill would be of the correct value.

If you were to add Sky Sport's it would be possible to have these discount as part of the afore mentioned offer. If you wish to add these please do not hesitate to contact us on 08442 41 41 41

I hope this go's some way to explaining the query below.
      Kind regards
      Stuart
      Sky Help Centre

This says I can have my offer once I upgrade to Sky Sports, but When I call the number they suggest, this is denied?

Thanks

I would keep ringing until you get someone who has a clue, if they have offered it to you (and as far as I can see they have) then they should be able to do something about it, maybe they need customer retentions to do it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah right, So when I call, should i go through to the 'Thinking of leaving sky' department.... That usually gets companies to do what you want them to!

Thanks

I would imagine that it is the retention department who can offer incentives for people to stay so should be able to add back your discount when required.