Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DIY - Standard SKY to SKY+HD

This is a discussion on DIY - Standard SKY to SKY+HD within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, been a long time larker around here, my first post so hopefully you guys can help. At the ...

coldhand is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DIY - Standard SKY to SKY+HD

Hi guys, been a long time larker around here, my first post so hopefully you guys can help.

At the moment i have a standard sky box without any sky packages, however i do have another package subscribed for a single channel.

I recently brought a Amstard SKY+HD box off Ebay (should be arriving anyday now). Found it a lot cheaper (60 for those interested) then getting SKY+HD packages, i'd be happy with the free to air HD channel! SKY+HD package starts from 28/mnt (minus 8, as i pay that for my Internet anyway) and as am not a new customer I have to pay additional installation charges, total saving 195!

So far, I understand that i will need to replace my LNB tuner to at least a dual LNB (or quad LNB - as i may use another sky box in another room).

I also know as we only have one cable with a single output (from the standard installation), i will need to replace this to a twin output cable.

Now my questions are:

1) I know i have to pair the existing card to the new box to pick up any subscribed channels, if i didn't pair these i assume i still will receive the free to air channels?

2) If i do have to pair them (the box and the card), what is the number i need to call? Or can i do this online?

3) I read around this forum about a 'manual callback', what is this and do i have to do it, if so how?

4) Once the box is in place, i was going to do a system software update. I assume nothing can wrong go here?

5) As this has recording facilities and play/pause etc, do i need to inform Sky or do anything extra to make this work?

Fingers cross everything else goes to plan, now i just got to work out how am going to get up onto the roof!

Thanks for those who reply! Much apprieciated!

2. Advertisement
      Medicuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poplar
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Sky TV: Free to Air
      Thanks

Re: DIY - Standard SKY to SKY+HD

I think it would have been easier to up grade to HD and payed sky the sixty pound, you don't pay for the box then.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you decide to subscribe then you will need to run in an extra cable for the recording facilities to work properly and fit a quad LNB.

Once that is done, you can ring Sky and ask them to pair the card to the new receiver, also ask them to enable the Sky+ features.

You don't need to do a call back but it may be worth doing a full system reset and then a software update.

Other than that, you're good to go.

coldhand is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Thank you Smithy99. I'll replace the single cable with a twin cable so i only have one running along the house.

Medicuk, i might consider it afterwards, that way i get the choice if i really do want HD or just stick with the normal SD.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

1) I know i have to pair the existing card to the new box to pick up any subscribed channels, if i didn't pair these i assume i still will receive the free to air channels?

A: Yes you will but you'll get no Sky movies, films or recording facilities.

2) If i do have to pair them (the box and the card), what is the number i need to call? Or can i do this online?

A: Cannot be done online but a call to 08442 41 42 43 will point you in the right direction.

3) I read around this forum about a 'manual callback', what is this and do i have to do it, if so how?

A: When you call Sky to pair the card up they will explain how to do a callback but make sure the box is connected to a working phoneline.

4) Once the box is in place, i was going to do a system software update. I assume nothing can wrong go here?

A: Nope nothing wrong with that.

5) As this has recording facilities and play/pause etc, do i need to inform Sky or do anything extra to make this work?

A: As my answer above, if the box is not paired up these facilities will not work. Therefore a call to Sky is the only way to forward.

Regards
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

mexia is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you decide to subscribe then you will need to run in an extra cable for the recording facilities to work properly and fit a quad LNB.

Once that is done, you can ring Sky and ask them to pair the card to the new receiver, also ask them to enable the Sky+ features.

You don't need to do a call back but it may be worth doing a full system reset and then a software update.

Other than that, you're good to go.
      If you don't mind me asking but will doing this affect anything to do with the quality of viewing considering you are "messing around" with the cabling?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mexia View Post
      If you don't mind me asking but will doing this affect anything to do with the quality of viewing considering you are "messing around" with the cabling?
      This looks very like the same old troll from last week, pointlessly responding to and bumping threads.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB