Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Satellite Signal Issue - Sky +

This is a discussion on No Satellite Signal Issue - Sky + within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; HI I have done a search but not of the threads I found seem to relate to this issue. I ...

Pepp77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No Satellite Signal Issue - Sky +

HI

I have done a search but not of the threads I found seem to relate to this issue.

I have sky + using one of the old Thompson boxes I believe (it looks like this - https://www.kysecure.net/digital-wor...%20box%201.jpg).

It was installed by sky with two cables coming from the dish and worked perfectly. Ive recently installed a DVB-S card in my PC, so I could use one of the sky cables to get BBC HD and ITV HD using freesat on my PC for the World Cup.

This appears to work fine and I can watch different channels on both the PC and sky at the same time and I can record at the same time.

However if I let the sky box go into standby mode it often comes up with the "No satellite signal is being received, please turn off for one minute" message, also if I want to do a timed recording using the sky box I have to ensure the box is set to the channel I want to record, otherwise the recording fails (if I go to that channel whilst it is recording, it gives me the message again), but the channel the box was on continues to broadcast, so it doesnt "turn it over".

It would appear my box isnt clever enough to realise I only have one cable connected, even though the signal strength box shows it isnt.

Therefore Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to sort this, it would be nice to have the option like on the HD boxes to set it as single feed.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: No Satellite Signal Issue - Sky +

The SKY+ boxes dont have the single feed feature, they're not supposed to switch over. Even the SKY HD single feed modes workability is debatable. If you want sattellite on your PC then the best option really is to run another feed for it, after all your LNB should have 2 free outputs. Your box isnt that old either its the box they were still supplying at the end of last year known as the PVR3.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Pepp77, make sure the Sky+ box is connected using Dish Input 1. Then have a go at doing unattended recordings using the 'dummy recording' method used by many other people with just one feed and a Sky+ box. As stated above, Sky+ boxes do not have the Single Feed Mode that is enabled in HD boxes, so you have to use a bit of trickery as described here:

Sky+ With One Input
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Pepp77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      The SKY+ boxes dont have the single feed feature, they're not supposed to switch over. Even the SKY HD single feed modes workability is debatable. If you want sattellite on your PC then the best option really is to run another feed for it, after all your LNB should have 2 free outputs. Your box isnt that old either its the box they were still supplying at the end of last year known as the PVR3.
      Unfortunately I cannot run another feed as we already have 4 feeds into the house, 2 downstairs to a HD box (for the mother) and 2 into my Sky+ Box (one of which I am using for the PC).

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      Pepp77, make sure the Sky+ box is connected using Dish Input 1. Then have a go at doing unattended recordings using the 'dummy recording' method used by many other people with just one feed and a Sky+ box. As stated above, Sky+ boxes do not have the Single Feed Mode that is enabled in HD boxes, so you have to use a bit of trickery as described here:

Sky+ With One Input
      Cheers for this, I can confirm I am connected using Dish Input 1.

I am currently trying my simple method of ensuring the sky box is on the correct channel I want to record (I dont record very often so isnt too big a hassle), so it records using feed 1, but will have a look into dummy recordings as above.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepp77 View Post
      Unfortunately I cannot run another feed as we already have 4 feeds into the house, 2 downstairs to a HD box (for the mother) and 2 into my Sky+ Box (one of which I am using for the PC).

Get an octo (8 output) LNB - simples

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Get an octo (8 output) LNB - simples
      This is the obvious solution and very easy to fit

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member