Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky and Love Digital refuse to replace faulty box

This is a discussion on Sky and Love Digital refuse to replace faulty box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I’ve had Sky TV, talk and broadband for a few months now. Recently, I lost my dial tone but still ...

DeusXM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sky and Love Digital refuse to replace faulty box

I’ve had Sky TV, talk and broadband for a few months now. Recently, I lost my dial tone but still had broadband access, which I thought was a bit strange. Sky did a line test and said they were unable to find an exchange fault, so an Openreach engineer was duly sent around.

When he visited, he checked all the sockets and diagnosed that the issue was a problem in my house. So far, so bad, as that requires a callout charge.
      Interestingly though, the problem inside the house was the Sky box. It turns out that whenever the Sky box is plugged into a phone socket in the house, it incapacitates the phone connection in all sockets (although not the broadband).
      So at the moment I have a situation where I’ve got my Sky box unplugged from the phone socket so that I can have a dial tone. I am aware that this is technically a breach of contract.

I called Sky to inform them of this – both because if the fault is with their equipment, I shouldn’t have to pay the engineer charge and also because I want to plug in my box to the phone line to keep my part of the contract. Sky told me that they can’t have anything to do with it because my installation was done by Love Digital and I should contact Love Digital for a replacement. Sky also confirmed this can be (rare) problem with some boxes.

So I phoned Love Digital. They have decided that they are more knowledgeable about how a phone line works and how a Sky box works than an Openreach engineer and Sky, and that therefore the problem cannot possibly be with the Sky box. They have told me they will not issue me with a replacement box as the fault is apparently fictional. I asked if they could send an engineer out so I can show them the fault but they’ve told me there will be non-refundable callout charge, even if the box is faulty.

So I phoned Sky to explain Love Digital have refused to replace the box as they simply won’t believe me there’s a fault. Sky have told me I will need to keep dealing with Love Digital as it’s nothing to do with Sky.

So the end result is:

- A callout charge for an Openreach engineer,
      - For problem caused by a faulty Sky box
      - I have to breach my Sky contract just to have a working phone line
      - And no-one will replace the faulty box which would fix all the problems!

Where can I go from here?

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky and Love Digital refuse to replace faulty box

sounds like a case for Citizens Advice, especially when you have companies playing silly sods like this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If you don't use the interactive features, just leave it unplugged.

If you want to get it sorted, send Love Digital a letter and advise them you will be contacting trading standards if you do not get a satisfactory outcome within 21 days.

Send it recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Just to check, are you sure that you have an ADSL filter correctly connected to the phone socket that the Sky receiver is in?
      Last edited by Smithy99; 10-06-10 at 09:22 AM.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

...and if you have done as Smithy99 suggests then also try a new ADSL filter on the Sky box. If possible try another Sky box as well.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Hook up someone else's digibox as suggested and see if that's OK. If so, tell Love Digital. If not OK, the fault is somewhere else. You don't need the phone line connected unless you have Multiroom.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Love digital are awful to be fair. I had them install a SKY+ box in my flat not only did they install a refurbed box and basically lied to me over the phone saying it wasnt a refurb when the box was blatantly in a brown box with refurb written on it they also accused me for having a faulty satellite connection when the box stopped recording. I did eventually get them to give me a brand new SKY+ box but it was a lot of hassle and as soon as SKY sent me a letter offering free HD and half price install I upgraded straight away
      Long story short keep pushing them for a replacement box until you get one and avoid them like the plague in future. I honestly dont know why SKY recommend them because i'm sure there's many more people being conned by them.

halinlondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

i have similar problem with sky and love digital (also called SPECTRUM in London). they also told me they will come out to see me if pay for a sky dish installation that They Did Not Do first time, as the stole my neighbour's Sky Dish signal . Apparently i needed my landlord permission which was not there when the came round the first time. BUT the engineer drilled, put holes and cable with out it.

It's nothing more the lies and lam excuses so they can charge me. i was told i would receive a sky receiver,dish and any other cables for free by sky. What happened was the passed me to "love digital "AKA SPECTRUM to shift there hardware liabilities with out me knowing. It's A Joke, if you have a contacts with sky which i assume you do, then it's there responsibility regardless of there saying to you. Just because they subcontract the equipment to a third party dose not render them not liable.
      The fact is without you consent to use a third party like love digital and contract that say you signed up with sky it amazing to what level of arrogance they can just say it's not there problem which is basically what they told you.

I just finished writing a legal letter to sky regarding my problem. i will keep you updated.
      Last edited by halinlondon; 21-07-10 at 04:44 PM.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Who did you contact to get Sky and arrange the installation.

If you went throuh Sky and Sky sent LD, then are liable.

If you went through LD of your own accord then LD are liable.

Either way, which ever it is i liable under the Sales of Goods act which is government legislation that they cannot choose to ignore. Remind them of this and that you will engage both the small claims court and Office of Fair Trading to report them if they continue to ignore their obligations under law.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet - BIS

halinlondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

here is the letter am writing to sky, it should explain it all.

"I have a contract with Sky dated the 17/06/2010 and currently paying £37.00 per month.

I contacted sky on 08442 411 268 to subscribe to your service on 10th of June 2010.

I was put through to the sales department which took all the details and agreed on the prices, dates of installation and equipments. In fact I was diverted to third party company (“SPECTRUM COMMERCIAL INSTALLATIONS LTD” hereinafter referred to as “SPECTRUM”) however I was not made aware of this at the time of the call.

I was visited by engineer who installed the equipments but failed to mention who he is working for and that he did not install my Sky Dish as agreed. He used the neighbour’s private Sky Dish to receive the satellite signal.

As my neighbour become aware of facts regarding the unauthorised use of his Dish, he disconnected the connection that was linking my Sky receiver with neighbours Sky Dish, due to that, I been without Sky TV since 18th of July.

I had contacted Sky customer services on 19th voicing my concerns but I was told I sighed up with SPECTRUM as my equipments service provide and they are unable to take any responsibility for what has happened. I told the Sky customer service representative that I had not been made aware of such arrangement.

I have contacted SPECTRUM on 20th of July regarding my issue but they where unable to resolve the issues unless I pay the sum of £40.00 for a sky dish and £65.00 for engineer call out charges.

Please beware that I have no contract or agreement with SPECTRUM that am aware of.

I have a copy of my sky contract no: 000000000 with my name miss spelled as “Mr hhhhhhhhh”. I invited you to have look at the contact specifically page 14 and 15 regarding installation term and conditions and sky box and mini dish warranty.

As your aware Sky TV can only be received by Sky TV mini dish. As the Sky mini dish is fundamental to receiving sky channels I paid to view. I consider this action Sky has taken a major breach of the contract and I kindly request you to consider the following:

I kindly ask you to put right what we agreed as specified on the contact, that is to install a sky dish and any other equipments deemed necessary.

Take full responsibility for the warranty of the equipment supplied as specified on the contact terms and conditions.

I believe I was unfairly treated and I like to be compensated for stress, aggravation and the loos of services caused. A reasonable compensation in my opinion would be not to pay for the down time of my service, £180.00 for the three days it took me to seek legal advice, writing the letter and stress caused.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just a small point! Spectrum/Love Digital are now owned and operated by SCC International of Cheshunt, Herts. Bypass the monkeys and go for the organ grinder!!!
      About SCC International | Links Broadcast | Uplink | SCC Distribution | Analogue To Digital TV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast