Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hot Sunny Day = Error 28 NSS

This is a discussion on Hot Sunny Day = Error 28 NSS within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Been dealing with this problem for quite a while now and havent quite figured out what the real problem is: ...

borris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hot Sunny Day = Error 28 NSS

Been dealing with this problem for quite a while now and havent quite figured out what the real problem is:

2 x Sky HD boxes, one in living room and 1 in bedroom.

Both boxes will work fine on a cool day, however if I wake up in the morning and its a hot sunny day, the bedroom box will not work, all channels except 1-4 give Error 28 NSS

At first I thought maybe it's a cable problem so i swapped the 2 boxes around but i get the same error,not only that but the living room box that was working fine will give me the same error using the bedroom feeds.

Strangely, if i switch the 22khz mode to OFF, I will get about half the channels back, no HD or Sky specific channels but Dave, ParaCom +1, Discovery and a few others which would suggest that the satellite works fine if it can get some channels. All my channels won't come back until it cools down outside.

After i bit more testing I've discovered that the reason the living room always works even on a sunny day is that I never switch it off, it stays on through the night where as the bedroom box gets switched off every night as it makes an annoying sound..HDD and fax etc.

So from this info it seems that my Sky simply will not authenticate with the broadcasting tower if switched on whilst its a hot day ... and now I'm stuck as to why

Is there something about the sun or the heat that would prevent full authentication, is my satellite out of position slightly which would prevent proper opertaion in heat and yet still work in the cool? Are the connectors on the satellite expanding in heat and not working properly.

As you can see its really weird, if something was actually broken then it simply would not work, but the fact that it will only stop working if a box is switched off in the evening and then switched on in the day when its hot is just odd to say the least.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry for long post.

Ray

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Hot Sunny Day = Error 28 NSS

Examine the F-connectors at the LNB. Look for loose/stray wires, especially around the centre core of the cable end. An expanding stray strand of sheathing may be expanding in the heat and causing a 'short'. Alternatively, replace the LNB. It's reaching the end of its life and is suffering from LNB drift, exacerbated by heat.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borris View Post
      Been dealing with this problem for quite a while now and havent quite figured out what the real problem is:

2 x Sky HD boxes, one in living room and 1 in bedroom.

Both boxes will work fine on a cool day, however if I wake up in the morning and its a hot sunny day, the bedroom box will not work, all channels except 1-4 give Error 28 NSS

At first I thought maybe it's a cable problem so i swapped the 2 boxes around but i get the same error,not only that but the living room box that was working fine will give me the same error using the bedroom feeds.

Strangely, if i switch the 22khz mode to OFF, I will get about half the channels back, no HD or Sky specific channels but Dave, ParaCom +1, Discovery and a few others which would suggest that the satellite works fine if it can get some channels. All my channels won't come back until it cools down outside.

After i bit more testing I've discovered that the reason the living room always works even on a sunny day is that I never switch it off, it stays on through the night where as the bedroom box gets switched off every night as it makes an annoying sound..HDD and fax etc.

So from this info it seems that my Sky simply will not authenticate with the broadcasting tower if switched on whilst its a hot day ... and now I'm stuck as to why

Is there something about the sun or the heat that would prevent full authentication, is my satellite out of position slightly which would prevent proper opertaion in heat and yet still work in the cool? Are the connectors on the satellite expanding in heat and not working properly.

As you can see its really weird, if something was actually broken then it simply would not work, but the fact that it will only stop working if a box is switched off in the evening and then switched on in the day when its hot is just odd to say the least.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry for long post.

Ray
      LOL - there is no authentication. Its not a two way conversation. Your box is a receiver only. Theres no towers, just satellites that your dish recieves signals from.
      By turning off the 22kHz tone you are limiting the box to receiving low band signals only.
      I've had to have an LNB replaced in the past which looked to start over heating after a few hours of use, I used to loose high band horizontal. I'm pretty sure its a faulty LNB in your case as well.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Dishes are pretty good at focussing the sun's heat on the LNB. Bearing in mind that they work in anything from -30 to +60 degrees C, it's not uncommon for them to break down occasionally. Fortunately you're only looking at 10 or so for a replacement these days.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      It's reaching the end of its life and is suffering from LNB drift, exacerbated by heat.
      For the record, it's really called "Local Oscillator Frequency Drift".
      However, if the other receiver works OK, the LNB may also be OK, since LOF drift would affect both receivers equally. Easy to test. Chuck cold water at the LNB.

Anyway, you haven't stated your receiver make/model numbers. If one is a Thomson, look no further. Notorious for obscure problems like this!

borris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I am assuming there has to be some kind of authentication between the lnb and the broadcasting tower/satellite, atleast an initial handshake to confirm that the signal request is coming from an authentic and valid customer, otherwise why bother having a unique viewing card that ahs to be paired to the box, I could be wrong i guess.

Model is: thompson ds18215

Seems tompson are prone to lots of crazy errors, I'm pretty sure the LNB is the problem, unfortuanetly it's on the outside of the roof so I can't reach it to pour cold water on it sadly.

The theory of the minidish reflecting and focusing sunlight onto the LNB is something I had not considered but I think it's safe to say that the LNB is suffering from the heat.

Called an engineer and hopefully going to get a new LNB and Minidish tomorrow, there atleast 10 years old anyway.

Just ordered a new Amstrad 1TB skyHD box so hopefully that one qill give me less trouble combined with a new dish/lnb

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borris View Post
      Thanks for the replies.

I am assuming there has to be some kind of authentication between the lnb and the broadcasting tower/satellite, atleast an initial handshake to confirm that the signal request is coming from an authentic and valid customer, otherwise why bother having a unique viewing card that ahs to be paired to the box, I could be wrong i guess.

Model is: thompson ds18215

Seems tompson are prone to lots of crazy errors, I'm pretty sure the LNB is the problem, unfortuanetly it's on the outside of the roof so I can't reach it to pour cold water on it sadly.

The theory of the minidish reflecting and focusing sunlight onto the LNB is something I had not considered but I think it's safe to say that the LNB is suffering from the heat.

Called an engineer and hopefully going to get a new LNB and Minidish tomorrow, there atleast 10 years old anyway.

Just ordered a new Amstrad 1TB skyHD box so hopefully that one qill give me less trouble combined with a new dish/lnb
      Theres no authentication. All the information about what you are allowed to watch is held on your smartcard. The satellites are also 23,500 kilometres away.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The LNB is part of the satellite receiver, and it's the black box fixed on the arm of the dish - it stands for 'Low Noise Block'. The LNB translates the frequencies coming from the satellites into lower ones that you can send down cheap coaxial cable. There's no point in going into more technicalities - suffice to say that these things are at the mercy of the weather, and they sometimes fail.