Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ hard drive had to be wiped

This is a discussion on Sky+ hard drive had to be wiped within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I am very grateful to find this forum to vent my frustration and share my experience. Our Sky+ box ...

deecee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky+ hard drive had to be wiped

Hi

I am very grateful to find this forum to vent my frustration and share my experience. Our Sky+ box (installed in Dec '09) has been playing up in the last week. The standby was working intermittently and the record feature was permanently unavailable. I phoned Sky today and the (albeit very helpful technician) advised that a system reset was necessary but would cause all our recordings to be wiped. I asked if there were no other options we could try first but appparently there isn't. I (very disgruntledly) then asked if we should consider that the Sky+ box is only a temporary storage device and transfer everything to DVD. She didn't think this was possible but wasn't sure. I'm not sure how unusual this fault is but the way the tech spoke it sounds fairly common. At the moment I think Sky+ is a pretty useless piece of kit although I'm sure I'll get over it.

DeeCee

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ hard drive had to be wiped

You need to get onto Sky and ask them to re-send the Sky+signal. Sounds as though this is what's causing the Sky+ feature not to work. I assume you're getting your subscription channels OK. Not sure what you mean by 'standby working intemittently'. If your box was installed as new by Sky, you are within the warranty period, and you are entitled to a free service callout. If they come out, the box will be replaced anyway. You can transfer most recordings to a DVD recorder. Check your manual for details.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

deecee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sorry Kenedin, I have missed out one very important detail - after the technician talked me through the system reset, everything is now working ok. Yes, it's still under warranty, so there wouldn't be any problem if it did need to be repaired or replaced. I'm just really annoyed that everything had to be wiped. However, on reading some of the posts in this forum, it looks like other users have had similar problems and managed to sort their box without resorting to hard drive format. I should have visited here first! Will certainly do so if I come across other problems in the future.
      I will also take your advice about reading the manual and in future will backup any programs I want to keep.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

The Full System Reset is a last resort. There are other ways and means without a reformat. Good luck.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),