Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Controlling Sky Box in Cupboard 2M away

This is a discussion on Controlling Sky Box in Cupboard 2M away within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi guys, Hoping someone can help me. Im currently undergoing some home renovations and part of the plan is to ...

big_hard_lad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Controlling Sky Box in Cupboard 2M away

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me. Im currently undergoing some home renovations and part of the plan is to mount my LCD TV onto the wall on a cantilever arm bracket, and put all my AV equipment in a cupboard below.

Everything is going to plan, including ventilation of the cupboard, except for one thing. I cant work out how to control my Sky+ box without having to open the cupboard door. I know about the Magic Eye or TV Link devices, but the problem I have is that I still want to connect my TV to my Sky box via Scart and the cable on these devices dont seem to be long enough to allow me to do this. I would need a cable of at least 1.5m (maybe even 2m) whereas the cables all seem to be 860mm long. Ive also had a look at IR Extenders but the problem I have with these is that the receiver (IE. The bit that sits outside the cupboard) always seems to be pretty big and ugly!!

Can someone advise a device that would do what I am after? Ideally I want something to plug into my RF2 on my Sky+ box that has a 2M cable on it to some sort of small remote receiver (something like the Magic Eye would be perfect if the cable was long enough!) Ideally the device would be compatible with Sky+HD as I will probably upgrade sooner rather than later, but this isnt a necessity. Also, ideally dont want to spend a fortune.

Maybe Im going about this the wrong way and there would be a better solution?

Below is a link to a simple diagram I just mocked up of the set up.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...ad/TVSetup.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Finally, I have posted this to a few forums so apologies if you have seen this post somewhere else before.

Cheers

Chris

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Controlling Sky Box in Cupboard 2M away

2m Scart cables are readily available - LINDY Premium SCART Cable, 2m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

All you would need would be a magic eye on a cable just long enough to reach from just outside the the cabinet to the RF output. The receiving part of the 'eye' is not much bigger than an eye so is not really intrusive.

One point to remember is that if you are 'building in' the cable you should also build in an HDMI cable for future use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      All you would need would be a magic eye on a cable just long enough to reach from just outside the the cabinet to the RF output. The receiving part of the 'eye' is not much bigger than an eye so is not really intrusive.
      Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is that the cable on the off the shelf magic eyes are not 2m long. Or am I picking you up wrong? Do I need to buy additional cable? Apologies, I am not very experienced in this sort of thing as you can probably tell!

Thanks for the advice on the 2M scart and the HDMI.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The Magic Eye unit will be connected to the RF output with a piece of co-ax cable, so the length that is supplied with the eye does not really matter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scooby_Doo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMNUN - Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

I think in your case the cable from the RF2 out to the magic eye only needs to be long enough the allow the eye to be outside the cupboard. As long as its in the general area of the TV the infrared signal should be picked up. You won't be connecting this cable to the TV.

These are the ones Ive used around the house, when I distributed the RF2 out around the bedrooms..

VISION MAGIC EYE SKY TV LINK + FREE P&P on eBay (end time 15-Apr-10 13:05:27 BST)

NOTE: these do require an F-plug on the cable from the sky box to the eye..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
      I think in your case the cable from the RF2 out to the magic eye only needs to be long enough the allow the eye to be outside the cupboard. As long as its in the general area of the TV the infrared signal should be picked up. You won't be connecting this cable to the TV.

These are the ones Ive used around the house, when I distributed the RF2 out around the bedrooms..

VISION MAGIC EYE SKY TV LINK + FREE P&P on eBay (end time 15-Apr-10 13:05:27 BST)

NOTE: these do require an F-plug on the cable from the sky box to the eye..
      You know, that never occured to me. I was planning on sticking the magic eye onto either the top or bottom of my TV. Maybe your suggestion would be the better plan.

skyman2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky world
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hey
      what you should do is run coax cable from rf2 to the back of the tv and then connect it to the magic eye.just stick the eye either above or below the tv.you could just coil extra cable from magic eye up behind tv.sure it wouldnt be seen.i would buy a triax magic eye.im an engineer for sky in cork (ire) and all we use is triax equiptment as thay are the best stuff to use

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I did exactly the same as you a few months ago and used one of these:

IR Control Pro8

I put the IR receiver just under the TV and it's unnoticable unless you actually look for it.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Most TV sets generate interference which some "eyes" don't like. You may need to put the "eye" some distance from the TV to eliminate problems of "not responding".

Equipment should never be put in an enclosed cupboard. Make sure that ventilation is adequate to prevent temperature rise inside.