Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help Please

This is a discussion on Help Please within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have just had Sky installed in my flat today and the sky man told me that due to a ...

Peaksy21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: NOT CONNECTED YET
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help Please

I have just had Sky installed in my flat today and the sky man told me that due to a problem with access i would not be able to record any programmes whilst watching something else but that i could still record whilst out of the house. He mentioned that I could buy an adapter that would solve this problem for about 50 but I am not a very technical person and would not even know where to start on this. Has anyone else had a similar situation or could someone please advise the name of this adapter or where to buy one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Help Please

Who did the installation? You need 2 feeds from the dish to your box, some flats have communal systems which mean you have to go through their installers/ maintenance companies to get it done.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello thanks for getting back so fast. It was the Sky man that came to install it and yes it is a communal dish and i only have 1 feed. I will ask the maintenance company but was wondering about this adapter thingy before i asked them.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There is no adaptor that you could fit to do this.

You would need a stacker/destacker, one end is fitted to the communual headend to send both signals down one cable and the you then have the de-stacket in your flat to split them back out to two again.

They have limited success as then rely on a good quality cable and you should not attempt to fit them as if you get it wrong, you could take out the whole system.

They cost around 100+

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, many thanks

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Peaksy21,

There's more to this than meets the eye. It's not just a case of 'plug and play' this stacker/destacker. As Smithy99 has said, you need good quality cable to start with and a very good signal before you even consider the possible installation costs. You will not be able to do this yourself - this is a job for a satellite installation company, and it won't be cheap.

My mother has just moved into sheltered housing with a communal dish, and I have no intention of going down the route of a stacker/destacker for her - way too costly, and no guarantee of success with the cable that's already there. The question to be asked - "do I really need this?", or would it just be 'nice' to have. In her case, it would have been nice, but really not essential. If your world is going to collapse around your ears without the dual recording facility, go ahead, but be aware that it's not quite as simple as it appears at first sight..

Your best bet is to make do with recording stuff when you're out, or watching something on terrestrial or Freeview ( if you have it ) and the Sky box can get on with the recording. I assume you have Sky+, not Sky HD?
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello, thank you for this, yes i think you're right its not such a big deal. I have sky+hd. Would I have the same problem elsewhere ie. VMedia or BT does anyone know? I'm not entirely impressed with Sky at the moment as I've had to wait 2 weeks for my box which still doesn't work - I only have freeview and no facility to record at all yet and I'm also told i have to wait a further 14 days for broadband, i wouldn't mind but i requetsed everything together more than 2 weeks ago.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peaksy21 View Post
      I only have freeview and no facility to record at all yet
      Since you can get Freeview, why not buy a Freeview PVR?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry what i meant was that i only have the basic freeview channels on my new sky+hd box. The skyman told me it would update after 4 hours but it still hasn't and thats almost 12 hours ago now. I think I'll just cancel the whole thing lol,

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peaksy21 View Post
      Hello, thank you for this, yes i think you're right its not such a big deal. I have sky+hd.
      As you have Sky HD, you should be on the latest EPG ( Electronic Programme Guide ). This has the mini tv inset at the top right on the screen. If not, you may still be on the old one ( 5.10.kHD ). Most boxes arrive preloaded with the new version, even so, they may have been in storage for some time and may not have been updated with the latest system changes. A software update should have been done by the installer when he set up your box. This takes around 10 minutes, and is done over-the-air ( ie through the dish ) If not, you can do it yourself. If unsure, let us know.

If you are satisfied that you have the latest software version, you can then make
      sure that Single Feed Mode is enabled in the Service Menu. This will enable your box to make scheduled recordings while you're out, or watching Freeview. It should have been done by the installer when he set up your box.

Make sure you are connected through Input 1 at the back of the digibox. On the Sky remote, press Services, 0, 0, 1, Select, then Setup. ( You won't see any onscreen response as you press the second '0' & '1' - just press the sequence ). Then, highlight 'Single Feed Mode' and switch to ON. Press green to Save Settings.

You should also note that Sky Anytime is disabled by default in Single Feed Mode, and you should leave it that way, otherwise you will have no end of 'No Satellite Signal' messages mainly first thing in the morning. Not having Sky Anytime in Single Feed Mode is one of the limitations of only having one feed from the dish.

My mother's Housing Association won't allow any individual dishes on the roof or on the wall, otherwise I was planning to set up her own dish on the outside wall of her flat ( with two feeds for Sky+ ). Never mind, she's happy with a good working box that I set up for her.

Let us know how you get on.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),