Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky remote works on tv functions but no sky menus

This is a discussion on Sky remote works on tv functions but no sky menus within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I hope I can describe my problem! We have a main tv in the living room which is connected ...

dinky73 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky remote works on tv functions but no sky menus

Hi

I hope I can describe my problem! We have a main tv in the living room which is connected to a SKY+ box. All the other tv aerial points in the house can receive the sky signal due to our aerial being connected to the sky dish somehow.

Our problem is with a Sony Bravia KDL-26S2030 TV in another room. We have one of those TV Link mouse things and a SKY+ remote to access and contol SKY from this TV. Today we had a visit from someone as our analogue & digital reception was poor. They rectified this easily (something to do with the config of leads behind the main tv). Anyway after they left I realised I can no longer control SKY from the TV that uses the tv link. I tried resetting the remote using the SONY codes and all the remote does is control the TV functions, such as turning the tv on/off, using the volume etc. But I press the SKY button on the remote and NOTHING! No sky access. We are getting SKY on the TV but changing channels and accessing menus can now only be done by going in to another room and using the main sky remote. Why has this happened? As far as I am aware he made no changes to this TV, apart from checking the strength of the signal from the aerial point. I have phoned them but had to leave a message. I can't understand it. We use a tv link on a tv upstairs too and that is all fine, can get the blue sky menus, get into the tv guide/planner etc. I even took this tv link downstairs to test on the tv and still nothing. I know the tv link is fine and the remote works so why no blue sky menus anymore. Very frustrated. Remote says Sky HD Rev.8 in the battery bit. Nothing has changed so I don't understand it. can anyone help?

Thanks very much.
      Dinks

P.S. Just noticed that the red LED light on the tv link is NOT on. Does this mean the TV link is broken or is there another reason. It was working this morning but since the engineer was here nothing. The tv link that works on the upstairs tv did not work on the downstairs one. Very confused!
      Last edited by dinky73; 15-02-10 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Need to add some information

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky remote works on tv functions but no sky menus

On the downstairs Sky+ digibox, check that the Sony Bravia is connected via RF2 Out, not RF1. You'll get a picture on either, but the remote commands will not be passed over RF1. Also, check that RF Power is switched ON in the Service Menu. On the Sky remote, press Services, 4, 0, 1, Select & 4. Switch ON the RF Outlet Power Supply and Save New Settings.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Please excuse my ignorance but how do i check my Sony Bravia is connected via RF2 Out, not RF1? Will check the RF Power on the service menu now but wanted to clarify the first check. Sorry to be so vague but it's all foreign to me :-)

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can't seem to find Services in the menu. It's a SKY+ HD box and I know this has different menus to my sisters SKy+ box. Is what I want in Settings or is there still a Services tab somewhere? Thanks and sorry for being so rubbish.

Thanks

At the back of the Sky+ digibox, make sure that the cable that connects to the Sony Bravia is in RF2 Out, not RF1.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK. The SKY+ HD box is in the living room and is connected to a panasonic tv. The sony is in a seperate room and is not connected directly to the digibox. On the back of the digibox there is a cable in the RF1 and a cable in the RF2. God know where they lead to as about 8 cables all lead into this main box on the wall and then outside! All I know is that about 2 years ago a guy came to replace out booster and said he could connect up the main aerial to the sky dish so we could get sky through any tc aerial point in the house but I have no idea how he did it. It has all worked fine up until now. We just got a tv link and a SKY+ remote and it worked on the Bravia until today. Sorry but I just don't know where all the leads from the didibox go or how they are connected. I do know that the tv upstairs uses a tv link in the same way the Bravia did and that is working fine. Would that suggest that the settings on the digibox are ok? If they weren't I wouldn't be able to control the sky from upstairs would I? Thanks

Thanks

Looks like the digibox settings are OK, it's just that an incorrect/insecure connection somewhere in the setup has been made to the Bravia A simple error, so get them back out to re-examine the work done. Check the digibox settings anyway.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was looking at some other threads and I plugged the tv link directly in the RF2 socket and the red LED was on. I then covered up the digibox so the remote would only work with the tv link and it allowed me to change channels. No idea what this means but thought it may be useful! I can only assume that whatever leads the man changed over today on the main tv had had a knock on effect to the Sony Bravia but not it seems to the old phillips portable using a tv link upstairs. Any clues? I assume this means the tv link and digibox are ok and problems are in the cabling somewhere. How on earth do I determine where? Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

I managed to get in to the installers menu using 001 as its the new HD menu. RF Outlet Power is ON.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK thanks. I presume this was there fault and they shouldn't charge me? We have never managed to get a tv link to work on the kitchen tv and I mentioned that to him and he just said "that's strange no idea why that is"! I have a feeling he may come back and have no idea why the tv link isn't working in the playroom now! If I tell him the checks I have done will that prove that the digibox and tv link isn't faulty? I just want to be prepared as I know they will try and wriggle out of it. I wish I knew what cabling they changed to get a better reception. The problem was our analouge and digital channels were getting a poor reception, they checked all the outputs from the aerial points and then fiddled around behind the main tv. It was all fine then and he said it had been configured wrongly and now it should be fine. No idea what he did though. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast