Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Telephone connection to Sky+ box

This is a discussion on Telephone connection to Sky+ box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Well, came back tonight, looked, and connection. Don't know what happened, c'est la vie...

steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Telephone connection to Sky+ box

Well, came back tonight, looked, and connection. Don't know what happened, c'est la vie

2. Advertisement
      JackVane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi all.

My first post on here. I was going to start a new thread until I saw that others were having the same problem as me. However, I have tried replacing all of the cables to no avail. Perhaps my problem is different?
      I was with Orange Broadband, but unhappy with the speed. They advised disconnecting the Sky TV box from the telephone to check for improvement (none). As the problems continued, I never did reconnect it. (I'm now with Sky Broadband - sorted!)
      I tried to purchase a Box office event - of course, it failed. I tried a few times before I remembered - and re connected the phone line. I got my box office event, but cannot recall seeing the normal payment screen.
      The next day I contined my battle with Orange to improve my broadband, and disconneted the Sky box from the phone again.
      When I was finally fed up with Orange and moved to Sky, I reconnected everything back up the way it should be - which was when I realised the the Sky box was affecting both my phone and my newly activated Sky Broadband. I have tried everything short of a full reset. I have the Sky letter telling me that my phone is not connected - but I called and they were no help at all - told me my BT line must be faulty.
      I'm certain that the box is holding an open phone connection. How can I stop it? Any advice appreciated. Cheers! (sorry - that post got a lot longer than I had anticipated!)

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Knackered modem? In the box, have you got microfilters on?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have collected so many microfilters over time I have a wide selection to choose from. So yes, there is a good micro filter correctly attached. I tried several, just in case.

I seperated the line from the Sky box at the point where my extension cable joins and plugged in a phone - working fine. Tried several different cables from box to extension, plus another longer lead that can reach all the way directly to the microfilter. All have had no effect.

When you say modem, are you referring to my Sky modem or whatever there is in the Sky HD box? The modem (for my broadband) is brand new and working superbly.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Everything connected to the phone line should have its own ADSL filter. I have 3 things connected - Sky, BT Broadband, and of course the phone itself. Hence 3 separate filters are in place. Is your number witheld? Make sure the Telephone settings in the Service Menu are correct . On the remote, press Services, 0, 0, 1, Select & 3. Dialling Type should be 'Tone' and there should be no prefix. You could try setting the prefix 1470 to force CLI to Sky. Other than that, the modem may be faulty, or Sky's mini line from digibox to phone point, or the line itself. Easiest way to check that your number is being seen is to get BT to check it, or phone someone who has a CLI display on their phone.

I can't see the line being left open, otherwise you would normally see the green phone icon on the front of the digibox left on.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

My sky box and my main phone line connect to a splitter attached to the correct side of the microfilter, with the other ADSL side connected to my Broadband router. I know this is OK - that is how it always was and it worked fine. I have tried forced CLI to Sky, using the method as you suggest, and it states that no phone line is attached. But you are correct in stating that there is no green phone icon on the sky box...
      So perhaps the box internals have failed.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

That's possible. Btw, which make of box do you have? Have you tried connecting the Sky line only via an ADSL filter directly to the phone line?
      Last edited by Kenedin; 06-02-10 at 10:51 PM.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

It is a Samsung HD box, not sure of the model number. And yes, I tried connecting just the sky box via the filter, with the same result. If I plug a phone in to the same connection it works fine. I got a dial tone on my main phone and then connected the sky box,and the dial tone just dies and sounds like an open line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would say you have a faulty modem in the Sky box or a faulty cable. Do you have a spare dialup modem cable you could try?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

or, most telephonesuse the same cable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast