Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Spectrum problems

This is a discussion on Spectrum problems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Am having real issues with Spectrum and wondered if someone could give me some advice. When I joined sky, ...

willow3006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Spectrum problems

Hi

Am having real issues with Spectrum and wondered if someone could give me some advice.

When I joined sky, they referred me to Spectrum as my building had a communal dish. Spectrum came and plugged in the box and that was that. Right from the beginning I had problems with flickering and no signal on some channels. If I switched the box on and off it sometimes worked. I called sky and they told me it must be the dish so I believed them and left it not working. I moved house 3 weeks ago, called sky to let them know I was moving and they said as it's a communal dish just plug the box straight in. I did this and I'm getting the same issues so it can't be the dish! I called sky and they admitted that it must be the box if it's still doing it. It's actually worse now. They said I was under warrantee still and to call Spectrum. I did this (I've enver been able to get through without being on the phone on hold for 45 mins or more) and they said I have voided my warantee because when I moved I should have called them and paid them 40 to come and do an install. I told them it was a straight forward plug it in thing but they said it's tough.

How was I even supposed to know to call them? Sky told me to plug it in! I have called Sky to complain but they say it's Spectrum's issue and nothing to do with them and that they will come and fix it but for 65 + VAT. I don't see why I should pay again when I'm supposed to be under warantee? Spectrum say that if I'd have called to report the issues before I moved, they would fix it free but Sky told me that it was the dish!

Any suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Spectrum problems

Ring Sky and tell them that you are going to cancel as you are unable to watch the service due to faulty goods which they supplied and will not repair/replace.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Which make/model of digibox do you have? Was this supplied as new? Make sure it's connected via Input 1 at the back of the box.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

well as you purchased the equipment from Spectrum, they hold the warranty. Sky has no responsibility over the equipment, as you didn't purchase it from them. So complaining to Sky about it will be useless.

I see your point that Sky said its simply plug and play, and it technically is. You are under no obligation from Sky to ask for an install when moving. If your confident in doing it yourself, and all the other equipment is there, then there is no problem.

Spectrum is your problem here. They are being pedantic about it. If you had purchased it from Sky, and moved home, and performed a self install, then you would still have a warranty, and Sky would come out free of charge. Spectrum must have different rules.

Argue the point with them. They'll should send someone out.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I can't see how Spectrum can void the warranty, every item has to have a warranty by law, and unless you have damaged it purposely they have a duty to sort it out. Send them a letter before action quoting the Sale of Goods Act and give them a reasonable time to sort it, 7 to 14 days, and then if they don't sort it, take them to the small claims court for faulty goods. Or you could ring trading standards and take their advice.

I did this with a faulty PSU for my PC and when it went to court, and then mediation, they paid out in full plus reasonable costs. It would have been cheaper for them to sort it when I first returned the faulty item to them.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

willow3006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Spectrum won't budge - their staff are so inpolite and I hate that I have to hold for an hour to get through.

I tried the cancelling with Sky - they put me through to a special 'cancelling dept' who agreed it was ridiculous that my warranty should be invalid but they just told me the best they can suggest is to buy another box from ebay and try that?!

I give up - I can see I'm not going to win this one. I'm going to make sure I warn everybody about Spectrum and what an unprofessional outfit they are.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Try your local trading standards and the local CAB,they may be able to help.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Do as Newsreader says and drop them a writ for small claims, it is worth it just to get them to jump through a few hoops, you will get what you want in the end as you have done nothing wrong.

It is really easy to do, speak to your local Trading Standards and they will talk you through it if needed.