Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Re-extended my aerial cable, now getting error 29

This is a discussion on Re-extended my aerial cable, now getting error 29 within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, Last year sometime I bought an extension kit for my satellite cable from Maplin. It was a 25 ...

MaximumFish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re-extended my aerial cable, now getting error 29

Hi all,

Last year sometime I bought an extension kit for my satellite cable from Maplin. It was a 25 metre cable with a couple of screw fit connectors and an F-coupler. I cut the length I needed and connected everything up and all was rosy up until now.

On Friday we finally got some carpet installed in our living room, so I took the chance to cut a new length of cable to replace the existing, but working, gnawed one (we have house rabbits) and run this new length underneath the carpet, around the edge of the room by the skirting board.

This all went fine but now we get no satellite signal at all. I've used a multimeter to check there are no breaks in this length of cable, and have even removed the connector from the dish-attached cable, plugged it bare into the coupler, and then touched the multimeter from there to the end of the extension. Again it comes back fine so I can only conclude there's nothing wrong with the extension or the coupler, but still we get no signal.

I've run through the steps to do an LNB reset, following the instructions from both here and Sky's own help pages to no avail. I've turned the box on and off a million times and left it unplugged for extended periods. I've also left it on for a few hours but again, nothing happens.

Now I'm at a loss as to what's wrong. The only thing I haven't checked is whether the cable has become disconnected at the dish but that's due to it being dark by the time I get home from work and us only having a basic step ladder.

I'm also wondering if I've attached the connectors wrong somehow. I don't have any exposed shielding under the connectors, but should I have?

Is there anything else I can try? Does anybody know what sort of readings I should be getting from the multimeter? (I've only done the continuity beep test)

It's starting to drive me a bit nuts now! Thank goodness I at least have a media PC that I can run iPlayer through or I'd be lost!

Much thanks for any help you can give me,

Max

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Re-extended my aerial cable, now getting error 29

It's a sure bet that you have damaged it with a carpet gripper, they are nasty things. Only way to check is to pull it up and look at it.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Max, have a look:

How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

I believe the copper shield acts as a ground line, and I think your connections should have the shield folded back as per the pics in the link.
      Last edited by Kenedin; 19-01-10 at 03:03 PM.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the link, that's confirmed that the shielding is just that but it's given me an idea of things to try. I'm also wondering if the 90 degree turn to go round a corner might have something to do with it, but I did try bending an offcut of cable to extreme angles and it seemed unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It's a sure bet that you have damaged it with a carpet gripper, they are nasty things. Only way to check is to pull it up and look at it.
      I'm 99% certain it's not the grippers causing the problem. The tacks aren't long enough to reach the signal wire, and the previous cable was damaged way beyond what a gripper could do by our rabbits and that still worked up to the point where I removed it.

The problem is I've already had the edges of the carpet up twice to install this and it's already frayed. I'm not sure it could take another lifting and still go back down properly. It was only fitted on Friday!

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      I believe the copper shield acts as a ground line, and I think your connections should have the shield folded back as per the pics in the link.
      Just noticed this bit, and you may be right. I'll have a poke at it tonight...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The cable does not have to be damaged badly by the gripper, just one hole in the outer sheaf with a nail in it will couse signal disruption, it does not need to bridge both inner and outer cores to do this.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

Seems that the OP has checked for continuity and not for shorts ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

It is fixed! Turns out the shielding does indeed need to be in contact with the F connectors, so I stripped back some of the PVC, re-attached and everything is now hunky dory.

Thanks for your help everyone. That's one to add to the mental knowledgebase!