Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky in Kitchen Using RF2 Output

This is a discussion on Sky in Kitchen Using RF2 Output within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Guys, First of all i should explain my technical knowledge is very limited and is all from word of ...

ChuckNorris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: TileHill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky in Kitchen Using RF2 Output

Hi Guys,

First of all i should explain my technical knowledge is very limited and is all from word of mouth so if i explain something incorrectly i apologise.

Setup:
      I have sky+ in the living room and a normal box in the bedroom on multiroom.

Earlier this year i brought a small flat screenTV to have on the wall in the kitchen.
      I didnt want a different box as we are either in the living room or kitchen and if we want to watch something different then we use the TV upstairs.

So i went for using the RF2 output from the Sky+.
      We live in a new build house so there was a wall arieal point behind the Main tv with a coaxial cable running into the loft. With all the houses by me thet run the cable into the loft ready for you to pay to have an aeiral fitted.
      We have never had an aerial installed as we only use sky.

So i ran the coaxial cable from the loft down the wall outside and into the kitchen, plugged into the magic eye connection. Set the TV to the same channel as the RF2 output and all worked perfectly.
      Worked fine for around 8 weeks and last week the picture went to back and white only and a reduced quality.

I have tried changing the RF channels, refitting the aerial connections no improvement.
      I have ran the aerial kit from the box to a portable TV directly and it worked fine so must be something after the wall point.
      I thought maybe the cable had been damaged so i cut the cable and fitted an F connector kit and ran new cable to the TV and still no improvements.

Anybody have any ideas of the porblem or how i can fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky in Kitchen Using RF2 Output

Very often this is caused by the wall plate itself.

You could try removing it and see if you can fit an f plug to the cable behind, then use an f plug barrel connector to connect to the rf2 cable directly.

How have you connected the cables together in the loft? I would again use f plugs and an inline barrel connector as they are a little better at the job, either that of fit a global 4 way amplifier up there and then you can drop cables into another room in the future if needed and also give the signal a little boost around.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Smithy99,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The connection in the loft is using f connectors and a barrel as you explained.
      I will try fitting a f connector onto the end of the coaxial and plugging directly into the RF output tomorrow night! (Need to go and buy one tomorrow!)
      If this doesnt work i will look into buying the amplifier to go in the loft as you explained - to be hoenst maybe helpful anyway for the future!!
      Can you recomend one or the ebst place to buy one?

For my own information, can you explain why this issue may have came about?
      As i explained it was working perfectly for a couple of months and has just decided to stop for no apparent reason?
      Like i said i only know what i hear form others so would just like to understand a bit more about why?

Thanks again!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again,

Just remembered that i had a couple of spare aerial connectors so i disconnected the plate and plugged directly into the skybox and it made no difference at all.
      Is it worth me buying the f connectors and trying that or should i just fork out for the amplifier?

Thanks

The problem is, there is no proof that the aerial amp will cure it, it could be the signal is degrading before it gets to the loft.

It is worth checking the connections again in the loft, it is very easy to get a strand of the outer core touching inside the f plug, especially when you are up in the loft and cramped with poor light etc.

Failing that, a Global four way amp that is powered from the RF2 is an easy option and can be purchased from e-bay and other sources cheaply.

Have you tried removing the magic eye from the back of the kitchen TV? also have you tried from RF1 (obvioulsy the magic eye won't work but it is a good test).

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again,

Just wanted to let you know it is sorted!

I messed around with the connection in the loft (started again twice!) and it has solved the problem!

Think i may look into getting the amp anyway as it may be useful later!

Thnaks for your advice!

Thanks

No problem, a global amp is a good way to go. It is a pain doing connections in the loft, cramped, poor lighting and fibreglass insulation, all there to get in the way!!!