Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

early termination fees

This is a discussion on early termination fees within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; hi im new to this and not sure if im writing in the right place. but anyway i have a ...

tinnies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

early termination fees

hi im new to this and not sure if im writing in the right place. but anyway i have a problem

i moved into a new place and planned on having the sky transferred but the engineer got here and said the building was too high and too close to the road for him to be able to safely put his ladder up. so basically we couldnt get a dish put up through no fault of our own. all this was back in september and we were forced to cancel the contract early and now i am getting letters saying i have to pay an early termination fee but it wasnt our fault we had to cancel. i cant find anywhere that states the terms and conditions on all this and dont know what to do. i have phoned sky and i have to now write to customer relations but wondered if anyone knew what normally happens in these situations.

also when we paid for the new installation (which obviously didnt happen) we used my mums credit card, as they couldnt go ahead with the installation they refunded her the money but are saying that is the card they are taking the termination fee from...not my account from which i had been paying the subscription fee from. can they do this? as surely its not an authorised payment?

can anyone help please??

thanx

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: early termination fees

Have you tried using a local firm to install the dish and cables for you? They are normally prepared to go the extra mile if needed, then you could just let Sky come and install the receiver.

If that's not something you want to do now after being messed about, you could always tell them that you are more than prepared to use the service but it is actually them who have failed to install the equipment and as such you consider them in breach of contract. Give them the option to have another go but warn them that if they fail again then you will consider the contract terminated with no further penalties.

You would be best doing this in writing, recorded delivery also.

As for taking money without your consent, this is usually called theft, you should point out to them that you dispute the amount and should they attemp to take it that you will get the card issuer to do a claw back and you will then chase for any charges this may inccur.

tinnies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thank you for that. the subscription has been cancelled and has been since september, its only now we have had the letters asking for the money. i have explained to them that it was their fault and they even have an account from the engineer stating he could not put up the dish but they still insist i have to write to customer relations as it is them who have made the decision the charge us for some reason. and im not quite sure why i cant talk to customer relations instead of email them.
      oh and sorry for the double post, i was not aware im not allowed to do this.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It would be much better for you if you did this in writing and sent it recorded delivery, that way they cannot pretend they didn't receive it, remember to keep a copy for yourself.

As for the double post, it is not that you are not allowed to do it, it is more a case of any advice would get split into different threads and it can be a nightmare trying to remember what you have already written or read, so it;s best to try and keep it all in one place.