Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

upgrade question

This is a discussion on upgrade question within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi current setup normal sky box in front room, normal sky box in bedroom want sky + for the bedroom ...

jbarnsie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

upgrade question

Hi

current setup normal sky box in front room, normal sky box in bedroom

want sky + for the bedroom and to install the old normal sky box from that room in the other bedroom

how easy or not is this to do?

thanks for any help provided

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: upgrade question

Not too difficult if you don't mind running in some cables.

You will need an extra cable to the Bedroom to enable the Sky+ functions (this requires two feeds from the dish) and obviously another cable to the other bedroom.

So to clarify, you will need one feed to downstairs (standard Sky) two feeds to bedroom 1, although you already have one in place so just one extra (Sky+) and one feed to bedroom 2 (standard Sky).

You will need to check you have a qaud LNB and it is worth remembering that if you decide to add any more Sky+ receivers or standard receivers you will then need to upgrade to an Octo LNB (8 outputs).

So in total you will need to run in two cables and require 4x'f' connectors.

FYI, you cannot split a cable and share it with any other receivers, they must all be solid runs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks very much for answering my question, bit confused as im a novice! the property is a bungalow if that makes it easier

"You will need an extra cable to the Bedroom to enable the Sky+ functions (this requires two feeds from the dish"

will the sky engineer look at this when he installs thenew sky + box in the bedroom? will he also sort out my cabling to the other bedroom for me?

whats a quad lnb and how do i no if i have one? is my idea of moving the old sky box into the other bedroom allowed by sky and if so will it receive the same channels as previous? (i presume i will need a new card for that)

thanks again

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbarnsie View Post
      thanks very much for answering my question, bit confused as im a novice! the property is a bungalow if that makes it easier

"You will need an extra cable to the Bedroom to enable the Sky+ functions (this requires two feeds from the dish"

will the sky engineer look at this when he installs thenew sky + box in the bedroom? will he also sort out my cabling to the other bedroom for me?

whats a quad lnb and how do i no if i have one? is my idea of moving the old sky box into the other bedroom allowed by sky and if so will it receive the same channels as previous? (i presume i will need a new card for that)

thanks again
      The Sky installer should run in the extra cable to the Sky+ as part of the job, he won't run in the other one (unless you get a nice one or offer an incentive) or it has been pre-agreed.

The installer will fit a quad if you don't already have one and yes, you will need another card, if you want the same channels, you will need to go with multiroom, all receivers will then need a phone point also.

If you are getting this through Sky, it is best to ring them and advise what you need so they can arrange it with the installer.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks smithy99

most helpful and much appreciated