Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky plus hand control problem

This is a discussion on Sky plus hand control problem within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am a newbie to Sky, so I hope some of you experienced people might be able to help me. ...

gill2610 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky plus hand control problem

I am a newbie to Sky, so I hope some of you experienced people might be able to help me.

I had Sky Plus put in 4 days ago and suddenly the hand control has stopped working, I have put in new batteries but still no joy. I am using the Sky box but cant see any options on the box to watch recorded programs? can anyone help?

I have contacted the guy that installed Sky but as yet not heard back from him.

Thanks in anticipation

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky plus hand control problem

You may have accidentally pressed the 'tv' button on the remote. Press the blue 'Sky' button to return the remote to operate the digibox. Then press Services, and the Planner is there.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      You may have accidentally pressed the 'tv' button on the remote. Press the blue 'Sky' button to return the remote to operate the digibox. Then press Services, and the Planner is there.
      Hi, Kenedin, I have tried that, but there is nothing coming from the remote hand controller at all, it is totally dead. Many thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks

Get a digi camera and point it at the black end of the remote. Look through the cam's viewfinder, press any key on the remote and you should see a white flash emitting from the remote. If nothing, make sure the batteries are in the right way, or get the installer back with another remote
      Last edited by Kenedin; 26-12-09 at 10:53 AM.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Get a digi camera and point it at the black end of the remote. Look through the cam's viewfinder, press any key on the remote and you should see a white flash emitting from the remote. If nothing, make sure the batteries are in the right way, or get the installer back with another remote
      Ok, I have done that and there is nothing at all, batteries are all ok so I will contact the installer again. I take it that for the time being unitl they bring me a new remote there is nothing on the actual Sky box that I can use to watch recorded programs ? I have found out how to use the box to actually watch Sky programs, but not to be able to watch recorded programs.

I cant believe that the remote has packed up after only a couple of days, do you think an upgraded remote might be better if there is such a thing.

Many thanks

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You could pop down Argos and buy a new one for 20! Probably be quicker and easier than waiting for sky!!

Thanks

It's unusual for a remote to fail so early on. They're usually good for quite a long time. I take it the remote was new, like the digibox, both in their packaging? Or was it one that he just handed over? There are no 'upgraded' remotes as such, just different Revision numbers, Rev 8 being the latest.

Anyway, call the installer, or phone Sky ASAP for another. They'll send you the latest Rev for your Sky+ box. Ask them. If you're minded to, you can always get one out of Comet, Curry etc today, and keep the replacement from Sky as a spare. If you ever decide to upgrade to HD it can be used on HD boxes as well. I'm using mine with HD.
      Last edited by Kenedin; 26-12-09 at 12:06 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's unusual for a remote to fail so early on. They're usually good for quite a long time. I take it the remote was new, like the digibox, both in their packaging? Or was it one that he just handed over? There are no 'upgraded' remotes as such, just different Revision numbers, Rev 8 being the latest.

Anyway, call the installer, or phone Sky ASAP for another. They'll send you the latest Rev for your Sky+ box. Ask them. If you're minded to, you can always get one out of Comet, Curry etc today, and keep the replacement from Sky as a spare. If you ever decide to upgrade to HD it can be used on HD boxes as well. I'm using mine with HD.
      Hi, I have contacted Sky now and it takes them at least a week to send a new remote, and they said the installer wouldnt have one anyway, thought that might be an option as he lives very local.

So all I can do is go and buy one and they said that they would reimburse me as they cant get one to me very quickly.

I am not happy about it at all, I have never had Sky before and if this happens after a few days it doesnt seem good. I think it was new out of the box, I wasnt really watching him the whole time, but the empty boxes are here, so sure it was.

Thank you very much for your help, its great to know that there are people able to offer help and advice.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      You could pop down Argos and buy a new one for 20! Probably be quicker and easier than waiting for sky!!
      Hi, Yes that is what I am going to have to do, as Sky cant get one to me very quickly. Thanks

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gill2610 View Post
      I am not happy about it at all, I have never had Sky before and if this happens after a few days it doesnt seem good.
      As already stated, this doesn't happen a lot, my remotes have never failed and have been bounced all around the house.

Not sure what more you expect Sky to do, they have agreed to pay for the replacement and/or send another one out to you, with the time of year and bank hols, I don't think it is unreasonable that it could take a week to get one to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast