Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

if you call and enginer for out of warrenty repair 65

This is a discussion on if you call and enginer for out of warrenty repair 65 within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I ahve a 3 year old sky plus hd box, which has just started having problems with channel 4,5 sky1-2 ...

xyleneuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STAINES
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

if you call and enginer for out of warrenty repair 65

I ahve a 3 year old sky plus hd box, which has just started having problems with channel 4,5 sky1-2 showing the error message no satalite signal being recieved error 28

However I plugged in my old SD box and got the card re-associated and all the channels work just fine.

Now as I ahve had the box over 3 years it is mine, I own it.

When the engineer comes to fix the error (which will mean a replacement box)

Where do I stand by keeping the old one?

Cheers
      Xykene UK.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: if you call and enginer for out of warrenty repair 65

As you say, it will mean a 'replacement box'. That means what it says, your box is exchanged for another one. If you wanted to keep the old box, you would need to buy a new one, or upgrade to HD.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

xyleneuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STAINES
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry there hd box is the one being replaced the old sd box was just used to prove the signal was ok.

where do i stand using the copy plus / removing the labels when the unit gets replaced? there is a lot of the kids tv programs on there I don't want to lose and don't have time to copy to dvd (sooo slow!)

Really this is a nightmare, especially this time of year.

Thanks

sorry there hd box is the one being replaced the old sd box was just used to prove the signal was ok.
      Apologies, I should have read your first line more carefully.

The only way you can save your recordings would be to remove the HDD and copy them to your PC, then copy them back to the new HDD when you get it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xyleneuk View Post
      where do i stand using the copy plus / removing the labels when the unit gets replaced?
      It doesn't matter. The box ( a Thomson ) is well out of warranty, and if you don't want to Copy+ it onto your pc and restore on another box, you could fix it yourself ( or a friend ) if you upgrade the capacitors, or send off the PSU for a replacement. Open up the box ( easy peasy - screwdriver only is required ) and have a look for bulging/leaking capacitors.

Sky User - Thomson HD Box - Walkthrough on how to change the Hard Drive

and:

Thomson Sky HD repairs and upgrades

Replacement Satcure caps or PSU:

Thomson power supply notes

If you're anywhere near Buxton, Digifix come highly recommended. Also, Satcure have a list of local repairers who can do the work, with notice.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think Kenedin is right to mention opening the box to look for dodgy capacitors.

The symptoms the OP has are classic symptoms of a Thomson Sky+HD box with a failing PSU, from what I have read, and from what I have experienced myself.

Better IMO (& probably cheaper) to get the PSU sorted than to pay Sky 65 for a "refurbished" replacement box.

Thanks

I agree that it may be the PSU which is failing, but is it worth spending about 25 on a 3 year old box? If the box was just out of warranty, I would say yes, but with one this old would it not be better to go for a replacement with a warranty?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

A replacement box fitted as part of a 65 call-out would just be a "refurb" though wouldn't it? Which, if a Thomson, could well later end up developing the same problem as the original...

What sort of warranty do Sky give for refurbs? I doubt it's a full year...

Thanks

There is a chance he would get an 'upgraded' Pace. They must be becoming available and they will have thousands of them to get back out. Even if it were another Thomson, I think the PSU would have been replaced as part of the refurb. I think there is only a 3 month warranty on refurbs.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

If it was something other than a Thomson, fair enough.

Is a three month warranty on a refurb worth 65, when you could get a SatCure PSU with three year warranty for around half that? (cheaper if you can handle a soldering iron & fit the kit yourself).

As for refurbs having their PSU replaced as part of the refurb process... from what I've read at DS by people in the industry, Sky don't have the PSU's replaced, or even admit that there is an issue with the capacitors on early Thomson box PSUs. Allegedly, so long as the box appears to work briefly when hooked up to their large dishes, they just get sent back out again.

HD Install tomorrow - Any good and rubbish boxes?? - Sky+ HD - Digital Spy Forums

EDIT:

Although according to this poster at DS, Sky installers are now only being given refurbed Amstrad/Pace/Samsung boxes because of the high failure rate of Thomson refurbs. So hopefully you're right that the OP would with any luck get something other than a Thomson.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...3#post37067183

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast