Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Next Door having SKY Fitted!!!

This is a discussion on Next Door having SKY Fitted!!! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello All. Just some info wanted please. I've learned that next door are having SKY fitted Saturday(28/11/09). I have learned ...

smegs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley Mill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Next Door having SKY Fitted!!! SORTED.

Hello All.

Just some info wanted please.

I've learned that next door are having SKY fitted Saturday(28/11/09). I have learned this from the Aerial Installation guy, that came round to ask permission to gain permission to run the Aerial Cable up the side of their wall that we needed to open our gate. The problem that we have is, we DON'T get on/talk. We are both in Detached Houses.

The way our sky is set-up, DISH/CABLE is on the RIGHT hand side of our house. Next door live on our LEFT, the Sky person will need to come onto our property to run the CABLE/S from their DISH down the side of their wall along our side path that leads to our garden. Our path has a 7' gate and can only be opened from the garden side of the gate.

Now, I don't care that their having sky fitted, the problem is, can I refuse the SKY PERSON entry into our garden?

Plus, have we got a say where the DISH goes? The dish can only go on the FRONT of their house, or the same side as our dish, which means the Sky person has to come onto our property to drill holes and put the dish up.

At the moment, NO ONE from next door has come round to explain what is going on, or ask us if it's OK for people to gain access to our property. As we need to be in to open the gate. With it being a Saturday, we go out on Saturdays, so no-one will be in to open the gate. If the Sky person puts the DISH and CABLES up by coming onto our property when we are not in, have we got a case with SKY?

Sorry it's a bit long to read.

Any info on this would be great.

Thanks.
      Last edited by smegs; 24-11-09 at 04:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Re: Next Door having SKY Fitted!!!

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to 'bury the hatchet'!
      Why not pop round and tell them you'll leave the gate unlocked for the Sky man, and maybe relationships will improve.

I doubt wether you have any case to refuse them reasonable access to their side of their house. You may find that there is something in the deeds to that effect.
      I'm sure if you lived in their house you'd be jumping up and down with a neighbour that refused you access on the same basis!

Remember that whilst you can choose your friends, you're stuck with neighbours and family!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Thanks

Hello Ned,

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit deeper than that.

My point is, I don't want the work men to knock on the door the day they want access. I have had the respect to ask them permission when our fence fell over and go onto their property to sort that out.

I'm not going to bite their heads off.

Thanks

Sorted.

Next door came round and asked if it was OK for Sky to come on to the property.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ahh he must read SkyUser as well then.

Glad you got it sorted out.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

PriestyUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You never know he might have a package you dont have, then say when a big boxing event or football match is on he might invite you round and you have a few beers and be the best of friends

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

dont think dish will be put on your side of building as most local councils would require planning permission for multiple dishes on one dwelling, rules different for blocks of flats,

the installer will only want access for a cable run

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Glad it's sorted out. However if you own the property then you can legally refuse entry to anyone except those who have statutory rights (Utility suppliers - Gas, Electricity, Water have the rights to go anywhere in an emergency situation). Sky and it's installers have no such rights and cannot under any circumstances access your property or attach a dish to your property without permission. Giving permission is a whole legal minefield and if anything goes wrong you can be liable if the 3rd party doesn't have insurance for just such an occasion - but I'd feel OK with Sky as I can't imagine they wouldn't have 3rd party cover for accidents.

If you rent then the Landlord is the only one who can give permission.

I had a similar case where our neighbours old stable block had a very suspect chimney stack and they needed access to our garden to dismantle it. I said 'yes' because I didn't want the stack falling on me or my family! The builder 'made good' after the work and we were all satisfied.