Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ magic eye problem

This is a discussion on Sky+ magic eye problem within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have a Sky+ setup which uses a Sky splitter to take the signal up to my bedroom. This has ...

NikkJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNCED
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ magic eye problem

I have a Sky+ setup which uses a Sky splitter to take the signal up to my bedroom. This has worked well for over three years apart from having to replace the 2nd eye once last year.

The problem I have is that the 2nd eye has now stopped working again and even with a known (tested on different box) eye there is no Sky control. The LED light is on so the power is getting through, on a meter it shows 8.66V. When I swap the output cables on the splitter, the same location still fails to work and the other location is fine, so the splitter is fine. The eye from the “faulty location” doesn’t seem to work on another sky box, even though it’s LED is on.

Has anyone got any ideas of what could be going on here?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ magic eye problem

Plug the magic eye directly into the rear of the receiver and test it, if it works there then it is a connection issue, you will need to check and remake all the coax connections, it may be worth dropping a blob of solder on the end of the coax plugs to ensure the inner core is making good contact.

If you cannot solder it then take a pair of pliers and crimp the inner of the coax plug onto the inner core a little so it is tight.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Smithy

I've already checked them, but part of the run is external (over a flat roof) and I can't get out to check it for any damage until the weather gets better.

The eye works when directly connected to the box. I've tried the cable using an old (non +) box and that works
      As I said earlier, the voltage is 8.66V, is that acceptable or borderline for the eye to work?

Has anyone tried the wireless SCART transmitters? This could be a way to go as it would also give me proper 5.1 sound to.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've gone down the route of SCART trasmitters, but I'll post back here (if)when I solve the original problem.