Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Signal lost during recording ?!

This is a discussion on Signal lost during recording ?! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I'd be grateful for any advice on the problem below. We had a new Sky install on Wednesday. I ...

Cheesehead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Signal lost during recording ?!

Hi, I'd be grateful for any advice on the problem below.

We had a new Sky install on Wednesday. I set up a recording of a 3.5 hour programme last night (an American Football match). When I came to watch the recording this morning, I found that only the first 45 minutes is recorded properly. The rest is just an empty blue screen.

Here's the weird part. I watched the first 2 hours of the broadcast, before going to bed. So I know that the signal was fine for at least the first 120 minutes of the programme. So I can't understand how it could be that the signal apparently failed in the recording after 45 minutes.

More details:
      - when I first looked at the list of recordings, this recording said "PART REC" instead of "RECORDED". (It now says "VIEWED").
      - when I press Info on the recording, it says: "Part Rec, 211m, No Signal, 9pm Sun 1"
      - the Sky+ box is an Amstrad DRX280
      - the disk is only about 50% full
      - after I first found the problem viewing that recording, I found I couldn't view any recordings at all. I had to unplug the box & switch on again. After that I could view other recordings OK but still only 45 mins of the problem one.
      - all channels seem to be working fine today
      - when I go to look at the signal strength in the system menu, everything seems OK.

Grateful for any info / advice!

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Signal lost during recording ?!

At the botton of the Planner page, use the >Options & yellow ( ??? can't remember ) 'Recorded' button to reveal any failed etc recordings. Delete the failed recordings, and anything else unnecessary ( including the part recorded American Football match ), then do a Planner Rebuild. On the remote, press Services, 4, 0, 1, & Select. There is no onscreen response as you press the '0' & '1', just press the sequence. In the resulting Installers Setup, use Option 7. You won't lose any recordings, except that your corrupted part recording ( if you don't delete it ) may well be deleted anyway as part of the rebuild. There may possibly be a problem with the hard drive.

If the problem persists, and if this is a Sky-installed new Amstrad box, phone them for a free callout and a replacement new box.

ps. I hope the software was updated by the installer last Wednesday. I have Sky HD now, so others may assist with the latest software version.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Many thanks Kenedin. After trying many times to call the engineer who fitted it, I tried Sky's helpdesk (before I saw your post).

They immeditately suggested doing the "option 7" / "planner rebuild" function you mentioned (- though not deleting the failed recordings first). It made the freezing playback slightly less prevalent, but that problem hasn't gone away. Meanwhile another recording I made since then has the "missing signal" issue.

I requested an engineer to come out again - he's due Weds. (Yes, it was a brand new Sky install last week.) I'm reluctant to delete the failed recordings as you suggested, because I'd like to show them to the engineer as evidence of the problem.

The thing I'm now wondering about is whether there is an inherent problem with this model (Amstrad DRX 280). If problems like this are known to the tech support people at Sky, would it be sensible to request a different model instead?

(I intend to be recording a lot of 3-hour matches played overnight UK time )

Thanks again for any advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
      I'm reluctant to delete the failed recordings as you suggested, because I'd like to show them to the engineer as evidence of the problem.

The thing I'm now wondering about is whether there is an inherent problem with this model (Amstrad DRX 280)
      OK, keep the recording to show the visiting installer. You could ask him on Wednesday for another model, but it depends what he has in the van. Make sure it's a new box. Also make sure he does a software update.

I have no experience of this particular Amstrad box - I had a Thomson DSI 8210 before my HD, and no problems, - but tuner problems and ( in older boxes, PSU problems ) are reported.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

The software versions I have are:
      OS - 1.31B07
      EPG - 5.04.3

I gather these are not the very latest, but not way out of date either(?)

Will post an update after the engineer's visit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update: engineer visited this morning, suspected that the hard disk was faulty, replaced the machine.

The 2nd machine he installed came in a different box from the first, and didn't have cables / remote inside. I asked whether it was a brand new machine, and he claimed it was.

Anyway for some reason the subscription channels weren't working when he left, so I called the tech helpdesk again. They took the details of the newly-installed machine, and I noticed it was an older model number. So I asked the woman on the phone: is this a brand new machine? Reply: it will be a reconditioned one.

I was stunned to learn: I am entitled to a brand new machine as a replacement because the first one was faulty within 30 days of installation. But because I did not specifically ask for it to be replaced with a new machine when I called on Monday, I will automatically be given a reconditioned machine instead.

Now that I look again at the machine we have now, I notice that it is scuffed on the top. Also the manual that came with it was printed in 2005 (the manual that came with the 1st machine was printed in 2008). I reckon the engineer must have been "mistaken" when he assured me that it was brand new ...

So I've scheduled my third engineer visit, to get them to install the brand new machine that I'm entitled to but they wouldn't give me until I specifically asked for it. Suffice to say this has given me a very poor first impression of Sky!

What is the best way to give them some constructive feedback so that they don't continue to treat customers like this?

Thanks

Send a polite but firm email to the Chief Exec, jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com , with a brief summary of events, your own personal details ( Sky account / viewing card number, address, and contact phone numbers ), and express your acute disappointment in getting a refurb box to replace your faulty new Amstrad. Tell him of the next appointment, and that only a new box will suffice. His office usually respond within 24 hours.

Re: the subscription channels. The card has to be paired by the installer with Sky, and this can take a few hours, depending on how busy the Sky system is.
      Last edited by Kenedin; 04-11-09 at 05:59 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks - will do.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It might also be valuable to talk to your local Trading Standards department.