Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

We didn't talk to the Animals

This is a discussion on We didn't talk to the Animals within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all Ever had the feeling that you're being filed into a pigeon hole? We recently had a charge show ...

SkyBadger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

We didn't talk to the Animals

Hi all

Ever had the feeling that you're being filed into a pigeon hole?

We recently had a charge show up on Sky's bill, for a film we didn't watch. Well.... I say we didn't watch it... but in fact we did see about twenty minutes of it before getting bored and moving on. Praps I should tell you more...

I'd decided to sit down and surf from one end of the channels to the other and I suddenly found myself sitting in front of "Madagascar 2", which I've subsequently been informed was one of the "boxoffice" channels, although I hadn't noticed at the time having just been pressing next, next, next, etc and lost track. "Is this a movie channel we didn't know we got?" I asked the wife as we sat for a few minutes watching some cartoon animals who appeared to be marooned in a jungle.

Anyway as I mentioned our bill duly arrived and this film for which we had no idea we were being charged, appeared on it

I called customer support yesterday to query it and explained that we hadn't been advised there would be any charge. I stressed that the amount in question (3.91) was secondary and that I was far more concerned with finding out how to avoid unwanted charges in the future, in case I felt in the mood to explore all the channels again.

At this point support informed me that in order to access these films, you have to type in a "pin number" twice. I confirmed that this I had not done and in fact being a bit bad with numbers I didn't even know what our pin number was, which effectively made it impossible for me to have entered it. (In point of fact he told me what my pin number was during the call.. and I STILL don't know what it is! Really not good with numbers.)

I asked if there was any way that the system could have let me in by mistake or anything I might have pressed which would have allowed me access and he told me that although he wasn't doubting what I was telling him, he had never heard of anyone being able to access one of these films without entering a pin number.

Now the fact is that the support chap in question was very helpful and pleasant and ultimately he cancelled the charge in any case, so it's not as though I have anything to complain about. Yet I feel a little unhappy with the result because despite his following of an admirable customer service policy in making the credit, the overall question of how I got into the film in the first place remains unanswered.

Our account will clearly show that in all the time we've had Sky, we've never watched a pay per view film and I'm sure that he didn't believe I was trying to pull a fast one. But still I suspect that despite his diplomatic treading of the script, he probably thought I was some loon who enters in pin numbers and then forgets he's done it!

Well I may or may not be a loon (the jury is still out in some quarters) but one thing I know for sure is that I can't have entered in a number which I didn't (and still don't) actually know. So call it a need for vindication if you will, but I decided to try to recreate the circumstances so that I could ring them back and say "hey..see this film I'm watching? Well I didn't ask for it!"

I couldn't make it happen though and sure enough I was seeing requester boxes asking me for a pin number before I could continue. But then I suddenly came across one which said "please press select to order." ... hmmmmm.... I didn't press it because I didn't want to get another charge, but what would have happened if I had? Would it have taken me straight into the film? Or would it have asked me for a pin number first. Because if it's the former than I can definitely see how I might have pressed it by mistake in the first place. "Clumsy" I can deal with, "addle brained nut job" not so much.

So anyway I thought I'd tell you about it and see if anyone else had had a similar experience of being able to access films without entering pin numbers. I don't like mysteries and I'm not keen on being pigeon holed as someone who might well be about to be dragged off by men in white coats. Especially since it's taken so long to gain the right to once again use round ended scissors and they've finally given me my crayons back!

Badger

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: We didn't talk to the Animals

You should set up a personal PIN number. Did it not use to be the case that unless you set up your own PIN number when you first got the box, the default PIN was the last 4 digits on the viewing card, and that by simply pressing 'select' when prompted on a SBO channel, the order was made through the phoneline to Sky? Similarly, a movie could be booked, intentionally or by omission, well beforehand, and then easily viewed on the day.

I don't know if anyone else is in the house, but, without a personal PIN number, even kids can figure out that the last 4 digits on the card would work.

These 'phantom' bookings don't happen too often, but there is usually a reason for it.

If all else fails, I suppose you'll have to put it down to 'one of these things'. I'm glad you got the charge waived.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      Did it not use to be the case that unless you set up your own PIN number when you first got the box, the default PIN was the last 4 digits on the viewing card, and that by simply pressing 'select' when prompted on a SBO channel, the order was made through the phoneline to Sky?
      This is still the case, well it was in February before the viewing cards were replaced. Not sure if the PIN changes with the viewing card number or not. Personally changed it as soon as the installer left...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Easy soloution is to unplug the receiver from the phone, then it cannot dial out the request. That should stop anymore accidents.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

So Kenedin and Azasmith forgive me being a bit thick, but are you saying that pressing "select" would enter in my pin number automatically? Because I can obviously see how I could easily have made that mistake and I'd have no problems holding my paw up and saying "duh!". But what I don't see is why the support guy would not have pounced on that straight away instead of telling me he'd never heard of anyone getting in without a pin.

Badger

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

He'd probably never heard of anyone getting in with a PIN that THEY had specifically set up themselves ( ie changing the PIN from 'default' to a new user-specific number ).

Why not try it and see?
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

S-Jay09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriars, Manchester
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

i had the same thing happen to me, it all depends on what rating the movie you want to watch is, i was billed for about 6 dif SBO movies that my niece had ordered and she doesnt know my pin, you can request that sky lower you spending restrictions so that you can only spend so much via your remote before you have to ring the SBO orderline they try to add a booking fee but if you tell them you have been having problems booking via your remote they wave the fee

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies all.

It's good to know I'm not one sandwich short of a picnic after all. It would seem after all that the problem lies with more training required for some of Sky's telephone support staff. I'll certainly be baring in mind that it is possible to access these movies unintentionally if you're not careful and next time I'm surfing I'll be on the lookout for that, so as not to press select anywhere I didn't mean to.

On the whole I'm very happy with the service I get from Sky and when we've had problems they've always been right on the ball, up to and including getting engineers out in short order when we've needed them. So I'm certainly not holding a case of not being fully conversant with his script, against the very polite chap I dealt with.

Badger