Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ITV on SKY vs ITV on Freeview

This is a discussion on ITV on SKY vs ITV on Freeview within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've just had to switch over from watching the footie on ITV through SKY to watching it through Freeview as ...

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ITV on SKY vs ITV on Freeview

I've just had to switch over from watching the footie on ITV through SKY to watching it through Freeview as through SKY the quality of the picture is dreadful. The players are just blurry blobs and even the picture looked blocky. Compared to the quality of the other mainline channels through SKY ITV seems very bad. Is there any reason for this?

Ta
      Last edited by Schrodinger56; 05-09-09 at 06:51 PM.

2. Advertisement
      skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: ITV on SKY vs ITV on Freeview

well im watching it on freeview via wiindows 7 and its got me fooled, it looks hd

GOAL!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skypaulusplus View Post
      well im watching it on freeview via wiindows 7 and its got me fooled, it looks hd

GOAL!
      Windows 7 is it released?

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

22nd oct
      im using the release candidate

last time i watche itv sky footie it was appauling

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've pre-ordered mine from Amazon for 49.99 to put on one of my PCs, I've stuck Apple's Snow Leopard on my iMac so it'll be interesting to compare them both when Windows 7 arrives.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 View Post
      I've just had to switch over from watching the footie on ITV through SKY to watching it through Freeview as through SKY the quality of the picture is dreadful. The players are just blurry blobs and even the picture looked blocky. Compared to the quality of the other mainline channels through SKY ITV seems very bad. Is there any reason for this?

Ta
      A lot depends on which region you're in. ITV have to rent transponder space for each of the regions they transmit, and you get the one that matches your region, based on your Sky card. I get the feeling that ITV spend more on the bigger regions, so if you happen to live in East Anglia or Scotland, where the population density is lower (fewer people to complain), you will get a worse quality picture. At the moment ITV are struggling for survival, so they are cutting costs wherever they can.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Football pq on ITV has always been poor. Nomatter which region you live in. ITV's bitrates are pretty much the same for all regions( circa 3.0>3.4Mbps) except, curiously, ITV W Country ( currently over 6Mbps since last May ). Needless to say I have added ITV W Country to my Other Channels. Check out :

LinowSat
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

ITV have chosen, for satellite, to transmit most ITV regions at a very low picture quality. On my 42" TV it looks as bad as channels from Nigeria. However they have chosen to broadcast a better quality picture on Freeview. I've asked ITV why and they never answer.

I watched the Eng v Slo game on ITV HD which is better than the normal ITV picture (it couldn't be worse) but isn't anywhere near as good as Sky Sports HD. Even during the tremendous rain storms in Glasgow the Sky HD picture of Sco v Mac was superior to the ITV HD picture in perfect conditions at Wembley.

Recently ITV HD has been broadcast at 960*1080 (that's half the horizontal definition of full HD at 1920*1080) but they reverted to 1440*1080 for this match. So don't expect too much from ITV as they are already cannibalising before they even have a full channel operating.