Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

no signal received - possible faulty box

This is a discussion on no signal received - possible faulty box within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Since this morning our Sky+ box have been give the no signal is been received error (29). Checked everything first ...

Spinal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

no signal received - possible faulty box

Since this morning our Sky+ box have been give the no signal is been received error (29).

Checked everything first before calling sky, ie unplugging it for ten mins, then also checking the cables from the dish are connected ok. still the same error.

called sky who got me to do a health check where they give me a code to put into the box. still got the same error.

mentioned that the box i have upstairs from when we used to have multi room still gets a signal from the same dish, she mentioned it sounds more likely that there is a fault with the sky+.

engineer is coming out cosing 65 but not until next sunday.

Few questions

1) between then and sunday are there anythings i possibly try.

2) the sky+ box is ours as we bought it from currys in dec 2007, so i have a 500gb HDD inside it. - if the engineer does find a fault with the current sky+ she said it would be replaced with another sky+ box. If they put a new box in, would they take the current one away (i take it they prob would, so would it be best to take my 500gb drive out and put the standard 160gb drive back in before sunday).

3) I never though to ask on the phone, we still have our old standard box, would i beable to just for the next week, connect that box for this week untill they comeout, just so that we can at least get to watch the sky channels etc,

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: no signal received - possible faulty box

update on this,

tried a few things this morning and it isnt a faulty box.

tried our old stndard box, just to see if it would get a signal.

tried 1 of the 2 inputs, worked, tried the other = no signal.

put the sky+ box back in with only one cable connected (the one that worked on the standard box) sky+ worked and got a signal - put the 2nd input in = no signal.

im wordering if the input that is causing problems could have a bad connection on the lnb.

it was quite windy on firday night/sat morning which is when the prob started, just thinking maybe one of the connectors has worked loose slightly - just to the point its causing no signal.

if it is that, i'll get the ladders out an have a look, but not sure about connections for lnb's etc.

might be worth a try to save 65

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

The LNB connections are the same as they are on the rear of the receiver, just screw in ones, there is a chance that it is actually the LNB failing. This is also an easy swap.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connections are as illustrated here: How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable
      Either you have a faulty LNB, bad connection, or the cable is damaged.

Exchange:
      Thanks

well this is strange - It is now working.

on sunday after checking the box etc (or so called faulty box according to sky). i got the ladders out, and checked the connectors on the LNB.

It has a slide down cover - but noticed non of them had the jacket/covers or tape that is mentioned on the satcure site.

Tried the sky plus dualcable (shoghun it seems is the correct name) in different connections of the quad lnb we have. one cable always failed - no signal or not locked.

Came in today put the tv, thought i'll check the sky box signal test. oh what both working OK.

Im taking this a been the cable. the cable goes over our roof which i notice the satcure site says cable shouldnt really be put over the roof and it if does should have extra tubing on areas that might rub, - notice our cable has non of that.

Speaking to our neaighbour 2 doors down - theirs went off on saturday but came back on, and also mentioned they had to have their cable replaced a while ago (theirs goes over the roof) and the one who came out said it shuldnt of went over the roof as its more prone to getting damaged.

So its the cable thats caused the fault, if it happens agian, ill be getting some cable from satcure and doing a new feed myself (going through the front of the house to the back rather than over the roof).

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

If it's easier.neater, you could run it in the loft at the front and out the loft at the rear.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
      It has a slide down cover - but noticed non of them had the jacket/covers or tape that is mentioned on the satcure site.
      No, they tell you nothing is required apart from silicone grease if a sliding cover is used. See bottom of page:
      Fitting rubber boots to LNB cables

Tried the sky plus dualcable (shoghun it seems is the correct name)
      No, it's "shotgun" (as in double-barrel).

the cable goes over our roof which i notice the satcure site says cable shouldnt really be put over the roof and it if does should have extra tubing on areas that might rub, - notice our cable has non of that.
      A cowboy installation. Cable should be clipped every 1/2 metre maximum. Sounds like yours has worn a hole and let rainwater in.

it shuldnt of went over the roof as its more prone to getting damaged.
      You mean "shuldnt of wented". Or, in English, "shouldn't have gone".

So its the cable thats caused the fault, if it happens agian, ill be getting some cable from satcure and doing a new feed myself (going through the front of the house to the back rather than over the roof).
      Replace it NOW before the water kills your Digibox!