Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't get terrestrial TV....

This is a discussion on Can't get terrestrial TV.... within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all Since having Sky fitted four of five years ago, every other room in the house has only ever ...

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can't get terrestrial TV....

Hi all

Since having Sky fitted four of five years ago, every other room in the house has only ever been able to pick up the Sky feed and no longer any analogue feed (e.g. other TV's in the house have access to practically one channel - as I don't have multiroom).

We've kinda put up with it but now with our region's digital switchover is in November, and that would mean that all TV's in the house could be running freeview (as opposed to just Sky in sitting room).

Also raising this issue as son has just bought himself a new TV with freeview built in, and the tuner couldn't pick up a single channel other than the Sky feed, any suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Can't get terrestrial TV....

Do you have a digital aerial connected to the aerial in feed of the Sky receiver?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Can your main TV pick up analogue terrestrial tv?

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Nope, TV fitted with Sky doesn't get terrestrial either :/
      Smithy? Know all BB tech but not so good on the TV side, could you explain please ?

Thanks

You must have an aerial connected to the Sky receiver to allow it to then pipe it around the rest of the house.

The Sky receiver is connected to the dish and will only allow one channel to be shown at a time. It has in it an RF modulator which when connected to an aerial (on the roof type) will then combine this Sky picture with all the normal terrestial TV, this is then piped around the house with the rest of it allowing TV's to be tuned in to all normal stations and Sky.

As an example,

I have my main TV downstairs, it is connected to a Sky receiver and also has an aerial running into it. The feed is then sent out to the main TV and also to another TV in the front room and one in the bedroom, the TV's in the other room have

1- BBC1
      2 - BBC2
      3 - ITV
      4 - C4
      5 - C5
      6 - Sky

They are also digital freeview built in so it I switch to the Freeview I get all them as well.

If I unplug the aerial (the one on the roof) from the Sky receiver, I can still watch Sky but I loose the facility to have terrestial on them.

Bottom line is that you need a digital aerial connected to the Sky receiver for the other TV's that are connected to it to be able to watch other terrestial channels.

I can watch Sky on one TV, BBC1 on another and C5 on the bedroom, the only thing I cannot do is watch two Sky channels at the same time on different TV's.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Nice explanation.

In other words the roof top aerial goes first to the 'in' on the Sky box and then the 'out' is fed to the other TV's around the house.

I guess the 'in' isn't connected, or you don't have a roof top aerial. I'm still using my old analogue aerial for digital TV.

teflon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01358
      Thanks

I know this thread is getting old now, but my query is directly relevant to this one, so rather than start new thread...

I have the same problem (Cant get FTV through to all rooms). I have a wife that hates football, and am desperate for a solution to punt her in to the bedroom to watch rubbish while freeing up the main TV with the bells and whistles.

I have sky HD (Samsung Box) piped to an amplifier via RF2 then onwards from the amplifier to each room. The previous owners had fitted a digital aerial and wired this down to the sky box. The aerial has a mains powered booster fitted in-line. When directly connected up to my main TV, I get a great signal with something like 100 channels available (some obviously PPV). However when I connect in to the "RF in" on the sky box to distribute this around the house, I get nothing - just huge interference on the screen of every telly. I initially thought it might be cross channel interference and switched off the sky box to see if it was a conflicting frequency, but I then get nothing but snow.

I did then wonder if possibly it was the fact that the signal in to the sky box is being boosted that was causing the problem? but bypassing the booster seems to make no difference whatsoever. All TV's are LCD's and Freeview compatible.

Anyone?

Thanks

It sounds like you may have a faulty Receiver.

To test this, remove the cable from the RF2 out and plug the aerial cable directly into that cable (bypass the receiver) this should then allow you to get terrestial signals on the TV's but no Sky.

If this works then it is either a faulty receiver or that the signal is too strong because ot is amplified.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

You really shouldnt bump a thread that's nearly a year old....
      I'll say what I say in all these situations confirm it's the SKY box by plugging the cable that's in the "IN" on your SKY box directly to the cable which is connected to the "RF OUT" on your SKY box.

teflon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01358
      Thanks

Hi guys. @Simon - fair enough! Thanks for replying though.

Have done as you both suggest and by-passed the sky box all together. I can tune in to TV channels only elsewhere around the house now, however while the sound is 100% crystal clear with no interference, the picture is badly distorted although viewable in as much as you can see what is on the screen. It doesn't look out of tune just very poorly rendered and streaky. Could this be over amplification?

Have traced the cable back to the aerial on the roof outside. I have discovered a box on the mast underneath the aerial itself...me thinks this could be some kind of mast head booster? If the case, then it looks as though the aerial signal is getting double boosted (once outside, then once again inside) which seems a bit odd to me...is this normal practice?? Incidentally the booster inside is a tri-ax mains powered box with a single input and single output. The box on the mast looks to be the same size but blue and there doesn't appear to be any power going to it (can't get to it without a 5m high ladder to have a closer look at the mo).

The box from the RF2out is a 6 way SLX amplifier with digital by-pass.

I know the aerial is definitely pointing the correct way because when connected directly in to the back of my main TV - all is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast