Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can't get terrestrial TV....

This is a discussion on Can't get terrestrial TV.... within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Yes, it sounds like over amplification. The Blue box on the aerial mast is the Pre amp, the white Triax ...

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Can't get terrestrial TV....

Yes, it sounds like over amplification. The Blue box on the aerial mast is the Pre amp, the white Triax box is the 12v PSU for the pre amp. You need to attenuate the aerial input. An easy way to do it up to about a 9dB drop is to wrap 3 strands of braiding around the centre core of the aerial input cable, NOT the cable from the aerial, but the cable from the PSU into your sky box. 1 strand = 3dB drop upto a max of 9dB. As a rule of thumb, de-rate by 3dB for each amp in series.

2. Advertisement
      teflon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01358
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Woodster, many thanks for that one...it seems you were right on the money! I always wondered why sometimes you find co-ax wired up this way, but i guess it makes sense...why a max of 9db though?

I have now successfully tuned in DTV to all my TV's with a crystal clear picture, and the picture is vastly better on analogue channels too. Picture quality is almost ghosted now on analogue channels with another screen feintly in the background scrolling right to left across the screen - colours are much better and sound remains crystal clear - particularly on the analogue sky channels. I'm guessing now i need to change the RF out channel on sky box?

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

A masthead amplifier without a power supply is an attenuator. You have to fit a proper aerial. Amplifying a weak aerial is not the answer, because amplifiers amplify both signal and noise in equal proportions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12