Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

moving mini sky dish

This is a discussion on moving mini sky dish within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; i am repeatly getting no signal messages, even when the weather is perfect (warm days) i looked at the line ...

ricardo122 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

moving mini sky dish

i am repeatly getting no signal messages, even when the weather is perfect (warm days) i looked at the line of sight and, i noticed that it goes through my neighbours trees. so can i ask sky to move my dish to the chimney breast because its the highest part of mine house. will they charge to move the dish because my box warrenty dosn't end till august??

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: moving mini sky dish

You can ring up as a warranty call but I think they will need special heights to move the dish up that high. You may get a charge for this, you would have to ring to find out.

herbie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01305
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Had the same problem. Rang to cancel as no signal due to trees in the way. Sent a engineer for free. Guess it might depend who you speak to.

Mr.AJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving the dish will be free of charge. Special heights are not required, Technically. However, it is best to request them as 99% of normal engineers (Especially subbies) will not carry lashing kits on their vans.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I might be wrong but I don't think they are allowed to fit to chimney stacks.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Mr.AJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

All engineers are issued with 3-Stage, 14 Rung ladders which will allow them to access a 3rd story roof or a 4th story window. Along with 24-Rung Cat ladders (I had to look out of the window at my van to count the cat ones though.) Ruling is, If you can reach it you can do it.

Insurance is a non-starter, With the exception of the few self-employed subbies responsible for their own public liability all engineers are insured and trained to perform chimney installations.

The mitigating factors are usually;
      a) Whether the engineer is carrying the correct kit and knows how to use it.
      b) Whether the engineer is willing to carry out work on the roof (Many lads aren't.) and as it is down to the individual engineer to carry out a health and safety assesment he may refuse to carry out the work without a second engineer present for rescue purposes. Don't forget, if you fall in this harness and can't perform a self-rescue. After 30 minutes, its most likely your going to lose a leg.
      c) Whether the cat ladders will actually fit on the roof (The ladders MUST over hang the edge of the roof. The standard 24 rung cat ladders we are issued with are frankly useless and im yet to find a roof they actually fit on.)

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder View Post
      I might be wrong but I don't think they are allowed to fit to chimney stacks.
      I don't think planning regs allow them to be installed above the height of the roofline although I have never known this to be a problem as I think the same is true for aerials.

As for it not being a special heights job, it seems a special height to me, unless it's a bungalow of course, I would certainly mention it when ringing.

They may also opt for fitting it on the other end of the house on a pole poking up past the gutter, this should also clear the tree.

ricardo122 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

or can sky fit a pole to the side of my house with the dish on the pole