Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Loss of channels after box changed

This is a discussion on Loss of channels after box changed within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by malcolmgb No don't have either sports or movie channels. Just re-read post and I didn't say it ...

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Loss of channels after box changed

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmgb View Post
      No don't have either sports or movie channels.
      Just re-read post and I didn't say it is just a basic Sky digibox not Sky+ sorry.
      Sky+ makes no difference.
      I'd retry the powering off the box (at the wall plug), pressing and holding backup on the box and then turn power back on. It takes about 10 or so seconds for the message to come up saying its downloading. If the box has been in storage its software will be out of date.
      There is no p in Thomson.

2. Advertisement
      malcolmgb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283 EMBUR
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

When I tried that all the lights lit on the front panel I had no picture and it seemed to have frozen.
      I will try again when I have some time and wife is out at work, I am going out for the day tomorrow, Mallory Park , and she thought she was going to be without her Sky programs.
      Sync at 11194Kbps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmgb View Post
      When I tried that all the lights lit on the front panel I had no picture and it seemed to have frozen.
      I will try again when I have some time and wife is out at work, I am going out for the day tomorrow, Mallory Park , and she thought she was going to be without her Sky programs.
      All the lights coming on is actually a good sign, it does that whilst it does the download. It can take up to 10 minutes so try again and then leave it until the box goes back into standby.

RST
      RST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sounds to me that their is a glitch on Sky's end which is quite common. Ask the advisor if there is an error on the system when trying to repair the card - if there is they have to send of a customer resolution form and will take a few days to resolve.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
      Sounds to me that their is a glitch on Sky's end which is quite common. Ask the advisor if there is an error on the system when trying to repair the card - if there is they have to send of a customer resolution form and will take a few days to resolve.
      I'd agree normally, but for the fact that the box has been in storage for approx 5 years. The software is out of date, and I think an update will sort things out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      I'd agree normally, but for the fact that the box has been in storage for approx 5 years. The software is out of date, and I think an update will sort things out.
      Yes I will try to update the software, it seems changing a box is never usually a major problem, the fact the EPG will not go beyond 446 appears odd, it would be good to know how the updates over the last 5 years have affected things.

I may swap boxes again this saturday night, TV not needed, and try the update procedure again now I know more about it, it seems I need the TV connecting by SCART instead of the RF I normally use, which would explain why I had no picture on the last attempt.

Reading about updates it has been said that it can take weeks for the correct files to be made available for a particular type of box, I would have thought the software was universal for all boxes, surely Sky would have asked different manufacturers to design their hardware to use a standardised Sky software, much the same as PC hardware manufacturers support MS Windows or am I being naive?

Thanks for your continued comments.
      Sync at 11194Kbps

Thanks

Theres around 50 boxes now, numerous chipsets in them, over 10 years now. No chance of a common software.

As far as I know the software plays out all the time, its just a case of waiting (minutes not weeks) for your softwares turn.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's almost certainly the out of date firmware causing the problem. however, the Panasonic TU-DSB31 is notorious for not accepting an update if it misses one. Some people have reported having to leave it in standby (connected to the LNB) for up to 6 months before it finally accepted the firmware update. Cheapest option is probably a PSU repair kit for the Grundig. If you want to pay a bit more, buy a used Panasonic locally or (if you really must) risk eBay.

Thanks

Success! I left the box in update mode for 15 mins, after that it went into standby, switched it on and all channels were there didn't need to ring Sky to pair card, all working fine. Panasonic box is much faster than the Grundig and no interference on channels that access through the aerial cable.
      Many thanks all.
      Sync at 11194Kbps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12