Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So much for "Introduce a friend"

This is a discussion on So much for "Introduce a friend" within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've been a Sky subscriber for two years, and never had any problems with Sky. But when I decided to ...

JuicyToms is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

So much for "Introduce a friend"

I've been a Sky subscriber for two years, and never had any problems with Sky. But when I decided to "Introduce a friend" to take advantage of the free sky+ box, that's where my trouble started, and now lost all faith in Sky.

It said on their hand delivered leaflets, quote:
      “Instructions on how to receive your free Sky + box will be sent out within 30 days of your friend’s Sky account being activated” well nothing was sent to me during this time, so I went to the Sky website, and there was a difference a difference in terms. It seemed I'd have to wait a further 30 days.

Because on the website it stated, quote: "When will my gift arrive?

When your friend’s Sky TV has been installed and their first subscription payment has been confirmed, we’ll arrange the delivery of your £50 M&S vouchers. Usually these will arrive within about 14 days, but please allow up to to 30 days. Alternatively if you chose Sky+ as your gift, we’ll send you a letter explaining how to arrange your installation. The standard set-up for existing customers is £60."

Ok. 30 days or 60 days, by whichever method chosen, I should have received instructions re. my free box within that time. But by the time I sent an email of complaint on 3rd June, I'd waited 69 days but I'd not had any word from Sky.

Even after I emailed them - I'd used the correct email address to contact Sky (iafqueries@bskyb.com) - I've not even had so much as an acknowledgement from them of my email.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been treated in the most shabby way. Then there's my friend I introduced.....
      Within one week of her having the box installed she had a letter telling her that she must pay to have the Sky+ box insured, or she will be responsible for the cost if should need repairs. To put it mildly, she was quite upset by that.

She'd been a Virgin customer for some years, and was quite happy with them. It was only due to the fact that we'd both receive the new Sky+ box which had very good reviews, that she let me talk her into leaving Virgin, and join Sky. I wish now I'd never given this "Introduce a friend" any thought. I'm just plain disgusted by the way my friend and I have been treated by Sky. If this situation isn't resolved within a week, then I'm off to the trading standards office, and the local press.

I'm a new user here; I wish that I could have posted something a little more positive or uplifting. But that's the way it goes. Up until three months ago I was another happy Sky customer, and my friend a happy Virgin customer, but as it is at this time, we're two most unhappy Sky customers.

I won't be introducing any more customers to Sky. Sky? - It's a bl**dy disgrace.

2. Advertisement
      connormill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kincorth, aberdeen, scotland
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: So much for "Introduce a friend"

As for the free Sky+ I'd say phone them on 08442 41 41 41 but before 8:30 PM, you want to try and get through to Livingston if possible, they are a lot better than Portsmouth, explain the situation and I'm sure they can help you. As for her insuring her box, every customer gets told that, she will have a 1 year guarantee, after that she will be charger a £65 flat fee for service calls, the insurance is a waste of money, say you pay £10 a month for it, after 6 and a half months it is costing more money than its saving, so unless you plan on getting your dish moved every 6 months, steer clear of it.
      Amstrad Sky+HD, Samsung Sky+HD, Thomson Sky+ and a Pac Sky+, Sky talk unlimited + line rental, and Sky Broadband Unlimited at 18.5Mb/s - Priceless, literally ( £0/month!)

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

i got my sky+ box 12 months ago through introduce a friend

i did this through the website and an email said to call customer services after friends install to register for my free box
      about 2days after install i phoned sky cs and was told a letter to arrange my install would be sent out within 30 days the letter arrived near the end of the 30 days i then had to phone to arrange delivery and installation of sky+.
      it takes time but it does happen
      Last edited by nodrog; 10-06-09 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo

stefbhoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Sky max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: sky+hd & sky+
      Thanks

seen this thread and wanted to ask a question my m8 wants sky and i was going to intoduce him and take up the free sky plus box i already have a hd box but would like the extra box for my multiroom sub but i seen they want 60 quid for install cant i just get then 2 deliver the box and do a ring back and swap the cards over myself its a preety simple procedure thanx

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

in a word nope

they are giving a free box they need to make some money, out of you and they will claim that an engineer must check wiring etc in case of future faults with the new box, and for warranty issues

i wanted HD box have 1 year old sky+ new dish and cable but they still want £60 to install even thought i have dish and twin feed cable

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

"I'm just plain disgusted by the way my friend and I have been treated by Sky."

I'm sorry if I've missed something but... Good grief! You friend gets a letter saying that unless she takes out insurance she'll be... ermm... uninsured and you're "disgusted"? God help the poor woman if she ever buys electrical goods from Currys or Comet (or anywhere else) as they'll verbally assault her at the checkout by doing the exact same thing. I just hope the poor dear can struggle through and call the police to stop this evil from happening again.

As for your situation, something has obviously gone wrong and all you've done is send one email? Just ONE email? Why not try contacting them again as I'm sure the "trading standards office, and the local press" will find your outrage as bewildering as I do.

crazy skybox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: dont know
      Thanks

oh,so if you introduce a friend to this website &they write me as the referer i get a free sky+ box?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevvi View Post
      "I'm just plain disgusted by the way my friend and I have been treated by Sky."

I'm sorry if I've missed something but... Good grief! You friend gets a letter saying that unless she takes out insurance she'll be... ermm... uninsured and you're "disgusted"? God help the poor woman if she ever buys electrical goods from Currys or Comet (or anywhere else) as they'll verbally assault her at the checkout by doing the exact same thing. I just hope the poor dear can struggle through and call the police to stop this evil from happening again.
      As for your situation, something has obviously gone wrong and all you've done is send one email? Just ONE email? Why not try contacting them again as I'm sure the "trading standards office, and the local press" will find your outrage as bewildering as I do.
      There's always someone removed on every forum who delights on going over the top with their replies such as the above.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 12-06-09 at 11:48 PM. Reason: insult removed

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Likewise, I guess there's always someone on every forum who goes over the top in their reactions to the irritating minutiae of everyday life and feel they have to inform the rest of the world even if it makes them look ridiculous.

Please keep us informed as to whether you get your Sky+ box and, remember, don't let your sensitive female friend near a salesperson as she may not survive the distress

Exchange:
      Thanks

"Not many people know this but"....

All consumers have by law a basic two year guarantee on all goods such as these, and it may be possible under certain circumstances for that to be extended to six years.

Retailers keep secret EU law that gives consumers a TWO-year guarantee on goods | Mail Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast