Hmm.. either I'm blind or maybe lack of sleep, but not found a proper thread for these. I figured there would be a sticky somewhere obvious.

I looked here and on a couple of other forums to reassure myself about swapping the cards but alas there wasn't any, which in a way is a good sign as usually people come online to moan if it isn't working, if it does work then they carry on watching Sky.

So, I thought I'd break tradition there and post saying that I've swapped my cards, one for a Pace Sky+HD box (main) and a Sky+, limited edition 160GB (multi-room) and it was extremely quick, simple and surprisingly problem free.

Firstly, I'd advise you to use the Services menu, System Setup and System details to find out the Sky Viewing Card number in that particular box and make sure you know which cards to replace in which box before pulling any cards out.

Second, start with your main box, usually the most advanced (eg. this order HD, Sky+, Sky Digital), then move onto your multi-room (or rooms if you've got money to burn, lol).

What the troubleshooting guide on the letter doesn't tell you:
Q. Will I lose programmes I've got recorded?
A. you won't lose anything you've got recorded as it's stored on the box, not the card.
What a retarded Q&A, I seriously doubt anyone thinks the viewing card holds their recordings, however what a number of us are aware of is that the viewing card and or card no IS used to encrypt/decrypt the recordings on the box.

We're concerned that we'll no longer be able to access these recordings changing the card, which if anyone's every upgraded from Sky+ to Sky+HD and taken out multi-room will know that they are forced by Sky to put their old card in the HD box instead of the Sky+ box and get a new card for the Sky+ box. This process then prevents access to your recordings on the sky+ box (not all, can still watch some, I'm guessing the FTA channels you've recorded from).
I had to watch/record off onto DVDr what I wanted from the Sky+ box using the old card, then moved it to the HD and put the new card in the Sky+ box.

Anyway, that was then (December 2008) and this is now, and I'm pleased to say there has been no issues, I tested:
Sky+HD Box
- Free channels, work
- Sky channels, work
- HD channels, work
- Record a program, works
- Play just recorded program, works
- Play a previously recorded program, works*

Sky+ Box
- Free channels, work
- Sky channels, work
- Record a program, works
- Play just recorded program, works
- Play a previously recorded program, works*

*Tested several recordings from different channels

It all worked fine, and I was quite surprised (given what happened before).

Needless to say though, follow the instructions on the letter, and results may vary.