Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recording Sky+ onto a PC - Please help

This is a discussion on Recording Sky+ onto a PC - Please help within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I want to be able to record from Sky+ to my PC. I have a WinTV Hybrid tuner card ...

ian_may is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01952
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Recording Sky+ onto a PC - Please help

Hi,

I want to be able to record from Sky+ to my PC.

I have a WinTV Hybrid tuner card and have managed so far to be able to get video on my PC but no audio. My tuner card is a WinTV HVR 1100 which has no audio input that I can see (it's about 2 years old). I tried to connect the audio feed to my PC's soundcard which gave me sound from sky but unfortunately it is completely out of sync with the video stream.

I have read some posts from other forus that say you just need an s-video or composite lead, but surely this just give the video and not the sound.

Any ideas on how I can get the sound and video in perfect harmony on my PC would be great.

Many thanks
      Last edited by ian_may; 29-05-09 at 03:33 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Recording Sky+ onto a PC - Please help

I use a pinnacle Studio 500 external USB capture card, which I picked up very cheap on eBay.

This has the beauty of being stuck near the Sky+ box in my bedroom and I connect to the PC with a 5m USB lead.

Any video capture software/ editing software can then use it, I use the pinnacle studio software as my brother gave me a copy of it, but the windows movie maker can use it as well and that comes with windows. Or you could find an open source capture and edit program.

I don't know what hardware you use so I can't comment on using that.

If you are getting pictures and sound mismatched have you tried putting them together in a video editor and see if you can match up the lip synch?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have you tried connecting a coax cable from the RF out in the Sky box to your capture card aerial? As it is a Hybrid, which I assume means digital/analogue, this should work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I tried using a coax cable to connect the 2 together but neither Media Centre or the WinTV software found any channels.

I only get options for s-video1, s-video2, composite1 and composite2 and none of these find any channels.

I'm probably doing something really stupid but could do with some help sorting this out. I've managed to get freeview working on the pc with no problems but am having no luck at all with Sky +.

By the way, I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit if that helps.

Many thanks again for your help.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

you are using a tuner card and not a capture card?

I don't think you would be able to record from a tuner card (unless you have software to do so with the card)

The only way to record onto the PC will be a capture card, which has different hardware inside.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I used to record with a TV card from the Sky+ box using a coax when I ran XP. It tunes the box in just as if it were a TV channel. Unfortunately it was an analogue card and was not compatible with Vista. My present card is a digital and the same as the OP, it finds the freeview channels perfect, but fails with the box. I had thought that as his card was a hybrid it may have worked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ian_may View Post
      Hi,

I want to be able to record from Sky+ to my PC.

I have a WinTV Hybrid tuner card and have managed so far to be able to get video on my PC but no audio. My tuner card is a WinTV HVR 1100 which has no audio input that I can see (it's about 2 years old). I tried to connect the audio feed to my PC's soundcard which gave me sound from sky but unfortunately it is completely out of sync with the video stream...........
      Don't mess about, go to those who know, Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-HVR-1100
      There's a "support" link there too, hopefully you can d/l a manual somewhere there.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally got it to work. I ran a coax cable from the box to the input on the pc as Isitme suggested and there was a line in connector on the tuner card, so I got a twin phono to phono lead and got the sound that way.

I am now getting picture and sound in perfect unison. My only small problem now is that I have a widescreen monitor and I'm getting the black borders left and right on the screen when playing and recording through wintv. It's getting there though.

Once again, thanks for all your replies