Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Any alternative to Sky Multiroom?

This is a discussion on Any alternative to Sky Multiroom? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I have just moved into a house that has Sky+ and uses 3 magic eyes for its 3 rooms. ...

hss9500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any alternative to Sky Multiroom?

Hi,

I have just moved into a house that has Sky+ and uses 3 magic eyes for its 3 rooms. There is no sky in the bedroom and I would like to install a tv in the bedroom but just want to watch freeview + terrestial(TV is freeview enabled).
      I have been advised that it would be easier to pay extra for Sky multiroom rather than call out someone to put in a digital aerial. There is no aerial installed for the current sky set up other than the sky dish.
      An aerial installer has taken a look and said it would be difficult to install a digital aerial on the roof(unless I want to pay for scaffolding!) as the tiles and the sky lights on the roof will make access very difficult and suggested multiroom instead.
      As the house has been decorated and carpets laid etc, the last thing I want to do is to start drilling holes in new wallpaper and bringing up carpets to lay cable from the current sky setup(in the loft) to the bedrooms. I thought installing a seperate digital aerial on the roof and the cable to come straight into the bedroom would be the cleaner option. But the costs involved for this now look like I cannot do this.
      Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to sky multiroom and the extra monthly cost involved? This is the first time I have had sky as I had cable in my last house. I do not want to put in a 4th magic eye as I would like to watch different programmes in the bedroom to what is on elsewhere in the house.
      Also, what will Sky charge me if I have no option but to go for sky multiroom and purchase a new box and card?

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Any alternative to Sky Multiroom?

AFAIK the installation would be 65 for a standard box and the multiroom would be 9.75/month.
      From your description of your requirements maybe consider an internal digital ariel in the loft which would be far cheaper than the other options and would give you freeview in the bedroom independent of the sky setup.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So 65 + 120 subs = 185 first year cost, then 120 per year thereafter.

If you just want free tv, then you don't need multiroom. Just get an extra feed off the dish straight into the bedroom with a freesat box. As long as your dish is easilly accessible, it should only cost about 50 to get a cable from the dish to the room, then you just need to buy a freesat box.

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Not being funny - But if you only want Freeview, and are in a decent signal area, then a 30 amplified freeview indoor antenna from Argos should do just fine - I bought one 2 years ago almost, when we moved into our brand new house, as it had neither aerial or dish, and we had a 2 week wait for Sky... Worked perfectly on freeview, excellent signal with no breakup - Still have it attached to an LCD in the kids playroom!

This is the one I got:

Buy One For All Amplified Indoor Aerial. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Works perfectly, even on min gain...

Mike

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Why not go for Freesat ?

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

a good diy chain or hardware shop have ariel kits complete with a 10 or 20 element ariel coaxial cable of around 20 meteres and conector plugs for around 15 to 20 dependant on element size if you are competent at diy this can be fitted in loft cable throught bedroom cieling to one or more bedrooms, a powered amplifier spliter can also cover more than one room
      i did this for both my kids rooms and they get good freeview and freeview+ coverage without going down the sky multiroom road