Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Signal question

This is a discussion on Signal question within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello all, forigve me asking a silly question but: I've recently moved from VM TV to SkyHD (albeit with a ...

EssCeeUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VM
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Input signals too high?

Hello all,
      forigve me asking a silly question but:

I've recently moved from VM TV to SkyHD (albeit with a couple of hiccups along the way). Tonight i've started to have some picture glitching on a few channels (various SD & HD). Thinking it was poor signal I checked my levels and found they were both "maxed out" and rock solid. I had very high signals prior to this and I know atmospherics can affect these things. Now when I was with VM I had a problem with a "too strong" signal on the cable that caused a similar style break-up. VM came out and fitted an attenuator to reduce the signal to a more reasonable level and that sorted it.

Now my questions are:
      1. Can a "too strong" signal on Sky cause the the same sort of picture glitching as I had on VM?
      2. Is "maxed out" signal too high?
      3. Is it worth getting Sky to visit (based on the answer to Q1&2).

Regards,
      Simon.

BTW: It's a Samsung HD box.
      Last edited by EssCeeUK; 29-04-09 at 10:18 PM. Reason: change title.

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Signal question

The quality rating is the more critical value as it shows how errored the received signal is.
      Bear in mind as well that unless you are recording something then the signal check just tells you what the box thinks of the default transponder. The mini dish is designed to give you the correct amount of signal so its extremely unlikely you are getting too much signal. You can't attenuate satellite signals with attenuators as there is voltage sent down the coax to the LNB.
      Atmospherics (tropospheric ducting etc) only affects terrestrial TV frequencies, not satellite TV, it does however suffer fading during rain snow etc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for the quick reply.

I was recording something on SciFi HD at the point I checked the signals. I supposed i should have mentioned that the signal quaility at that time was also maxed out.

So, the box always shows the default (11.778 V 27.5 2/3) transponder signal unless recording. Can I ask assume that when recording one of the inputs shows the signal for the transponder that is being recorded on?

I did do some more 'in-depth' (for me at least) tests and discovered that only channels that originated from 2A/B gave any glitches. 2D channels did not glitch.

JFTR: The original problem I had was that once the LNB got warm (garden is a suntrap) I would loose all channels on 2D. The LNB was replaced and all was fine - until now LOL. I have an awful feeling of deja-vu.

Simon.

Thanks

The dish may be slightly off beam, so may need re-aligning. Anyway, recording the issue and keeping the recordings will give you the evidence to show an installer.

The LNB's are probably the same as used in Spain etc where it gets a lot hotter than here, but if you can add some sort of shielding without blocking the feed horn it may be worth a try.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for all your advice.

Great tip.. I'll keep (and make more) the recordings to show the problem for when the engineer pays a visit.

Thank you.
      Simon.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      You can't attenuate satellite signals with attenuators as there is voltage sent down the coax to the LNB.
      Yes you can, you just need to use a satellite attenuator with DC pass. As for getting too much signal, it is entirely possible to suffer from "tuner swamp" ie, too much signal, but you will normally only get this on a badly set up/ over amplified communal system. On a DTH system, it's very unlikely. The fact that the STB shows 100% on both strength and quality makes me suspect the STB may have a fault.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      Yes you can, you just need to use a satellite attenuator with DC pass. As for getting too much signal, it is entirely possible to suffer from "tuner swamp" ie, too much signal, but you will normally only get this on a badly set up/ over amplified communal system. On a DTH system, it's very unlikely. The fact that the STB shows 100% on both strength and quality makes me suspect the STB may have a fault.
      If the tuner is swamped then you will get un-corrected errors and the quality value will drop. The OP asked about cable and attenuation, and I've seen people try using cable attenuators with satellite before. Its fun asking them to check the attenuator, the look on their faces when they realise the attenuator is getting hot!
      Could be a good call on the faulty box though.
      EssCeeUk what happens if you disconnect one RF feed, does the signal check screen show a loss of input signal?

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some Grundig GDS models suffered from "tuner swamping" when the LNB cable was very short. An appropriate type of 6dB attenuator would usually fix it.