Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aspect ratio problem

This is a discussion on Aspect ratio problem within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am having trouble with getting the correct aspect ratio on some of the Sky channels and am not sure ...

marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Aspect ratio problem

I am having trouble with getting the correct aspect ratio on some of the Sky channels and am not sure if it is my set up, or how Sky broadcast the signal.

Most of the channels work fine, but on some, the picture is "squashed" showing black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. If the original programme was recorded in 4:3, and my tv is stretching it to 16:9, then it looks ridiculous. Changing to 4:3 gets closer to the correct size, but the black areas still mean the size is wrong.

I notice these bars are lighter in colour which suggests they are being transmitted with the signal? Are some of the Sky channels unable to broadcast a 16:9 picture so transmit it in "letterbox" mode?

Zooming seems to be the only way to achieve a correct ratio, but this also results in some of the picture being lost of the top and bottom of the screen.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Re: Aspect ratio problem

The pictures are broadcast in the ratio that they were filmed in, so if it was filmed in 4:3 it will be shown in 4:3, your TV may be able to stretch it but that is all it is doing, it cannot make it true 16:9 if it wasn't made that way.

The one I notice most is the Simpsons, they are nearly all 4:3.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you are viewing HD channels via the HDMI connection then the picture will be in the original format. You can change that on the TV but it will look odd. If it's a non-HD channel or via SCART then you should be set up various alternatives via the Sky box and/or TV.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

This problem is most prevelant on legacy channels, UK gold and the like.
      They have a load of programmes that were made by the BBC in Widescreen, however as the gold channels transmitted in 4x3 at the time the programmes were given a letter box format, i.e you get black bars at the top and bottom.
      You may find it better to set your TV to panorama mode in the event of a 4x3 signal being transmitted., that way the centre of the frame is about right and the edges are progressively stretched.

Thanks

Thanks for your help people.

I take on board what you say about the legacy channels, but I have another couple of points to add. On these channels, Bravo for example, when the commercial break starts, the black bars disappear and the picture changes to a full screen 16:9. When this happens my Viera tv briefly displays a caption saying "wide". When the programme re-starts, I get a caption saying "16:9".

According to the handbook, ""Wide" appears if a widescreen identification signal (WSS) is found". 16:9, 4:3, Auto etc are the default tv settings.

So can a channel such as Discovery Knowledge be unable to broadcast a 16:9 programme but be able to transmit widescreen adverts?

Oh, and the bars ARE being transmitted as often the channel logo overlaps into the black.

Cheers all.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Yes that is what should be happening. The adverts are filmed in widescreen so they are shown as such. When the program returns after the break its is back in 4:3 because that is how it was made.

Thanks

Ah, perhaps I have not explained properly.

The black bars I refer to are at the TOP and BOTTOM of the picture. If I switch to 4:3, then I have bars on all 4 sides of the screen so it's like looking through a window.

In 4:3, people look short and fat, If I switch to 16:9, I achieve a picture that looks like a 2.35:1 movie and people become almost wider than they are tall.

David Starky is on 522 Discovery Knowledge now (13:30), and it was recorded in 4:3 but my screen (set to 4:3) is showing bars on all 4 sides of the screen which makes him look fat.

I wonder why?

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Do you have a standard def, or HD Sky box? How is it connected to the TV, and if it's Standard Def, is is using RGB, and is scart switching turned on?

What model is the TV too, the more info the better...

Mike

Thanks

The digibox is a standard Pace DS430N connected to a Panasonic Viera TX-37LZD tv and a Panasonic EX88 400Gb PVR via fully wired scart leads.

The EX88 is connected to the tv by HDMI lead and set to 1080p.

The Sky box output is set at 16:9 for both picture format and second location format and with scart control on and set to RGB out. As this Sky box only has RGB output from scart 1, I have connected that to the PVR. Scart 2 (PAL only) is directly to the tv.

The picture format is the same whether viewed through the PVR or directly from the Sky box.

An old Time Team was on Discovery earlier, and it was showing as full height with side bars as it should be. Now the same channel is showing a 16:9 programme with bars on all four sides!
      Last edited by marrtin; 29-04-09 at 09:21 PM. Reason: omission

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marrtin View Post
      The digibox is a standard Pace DS430N connected to a Panasonic Viera TX-37LZD tv and a Panasonic EX88 400Gb PVR via fully wired scart leads.

The EX88 is connected to the tv by HDMI lead and set to 1080p.

The Sky box output is set at 16:9 for both picture format and second location format and with scart control on and set to RGB out. As this Sky box only has RGB output from scart 1, I have connected that to the PVR. Scart 2 (PAL only) is directly to the tv.

The picture format is the same whether viewed through the PVR or directly from the Sky box.

An old Time Team was on Discovery earlier, and it was showing as full height with side bars as it should be. Now the same channel is showing a 16:9 programme with bars on all four sides!
      The VCR scart socket does not have widescreen signalling on pin 8. The WSS should still be on the first half of video line 23 though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast