Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recording from Sky+ onto DVD recorder

This is a discussion on Recording from Sky+ onto DVD recorder within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I just bought a new DVD recorder, a Philips DVDR5570H, the one with the hard drive. I specifically said in ...

Chopin9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 3531
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Recording from Sky+ onto DVD recorder

I just bought a new DVD recorder, a Philips DVDR5570H, the one with the hard drive. I specifically said in the shop what I wanted it for - to record programmes stored on my Sky+ HD onto DVD disks.

But I can find no way of doing this. When I follow the Sky 'Copy' instructions and set the DVD recorder to 'record', the Philips seems just to copy the programmes onto its own HD, and not to the disk.

Anyone ever come across this, and is there a way to make it work? Otherwise a one hour programme would take two hours just to get onto disk - one hour recording from Sky to the DVD HD and then another hour onto the disk itself.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Recording from Sky+ onto DVD recorder

My experience of other DVD/HDD recorders suggests you are better recording from your Sky+ HD box to the Phillips HDD (where you can edit the recording) then using COPY on the Phillips for HDD to DVD transfer which should be very quick as it's not in real time (it's the same as writing a DVD on a PC). On my Samsung such copying takes about 3 minutes for a 1 hour programme and most of that is finalising the DVD..

Thanks

Thanks for that. I thought I'd be sitting in front of the box for hours at a time. BTW, is there ANY way you can copy a programme stored on the Sky+ HD box to the Philips HDD without having to actually watch it? Can it be done in the background?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

No you have to play it back in real time. I copy mine to my DVD/HDD recorder overnight - you can link several programmes to copy so can do many hours unattended and the real limit is how long you can record for (in my case it's 6 hours). Next day I simply split the recordings into prgrammes and then copy to DVD.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

But I can find no way of doing this. When I follow the Sky 'Copy' instructions and set the DVD recorder to 'record', the Philips seems just to copy the programmes onto its own HD, and not to the disk.
      I have a Lite-on and can copy direct from the Sky box to a DVD, it has to be selected in the recorder. I must admit that though I can do it, I never do, the times I have tried ended in disaster. The first part would record fine, then the sound went out of sync. I now record to the HDD then transfer it to DVD disk after editing, just as dms05 does. Transferring to the recorder overnight is the best solution.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Seems like no-one has invented an uncomplicated hassle-free DVD recorder yet. How hard can it be? Pity Apple never got into this business...