Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Satellite Splitter

This is a discussion on Satellite Splitter within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi New to this forum, hope somebody can help. I have SKY+, and I have just put a TV in ...

pmcl123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Satellite Splitter

Hi

New to this forum, hope somebody can help.

I have SKY+, and I have just put a TV in the kitchen, and want to connect it to my Sky Box. RV2 out port port is already connected to the portable in the bedroom.

How do I connect my other TV to sky ? Can I link the Coax into the RV2 out port ?

Do I need a Satellite Spliter ? If so I gather the Input is the coax from the LNB and the output will be the connection to the SKY box and the other output to my TV in the Kitchen? Im not sure what the second output will pick up ( the one going into the Kitchen as its not plummed into the Sky box itself.)

As im not expert and indeed a complete novice can anybody advise ?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

re: Satellite Splitter

Welcome to the site!

You don't need a satellite splitter, you would probably be best feeding rf2 into an rf amplifier with two outputs, one output feeding the bedroom the other the kitchen. It gets trickier though if you are using a magic eye. Any tv shop will send you an rf amplifier.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

re: Satellite Splitter

All you probably need is a simple coax splitter that will split the feeds from the RF2 output, or if the cable runs are long you may need a distribution amplifier.
      There is no need to touch the feeds from the dish to the Sky Box, the signal they carry is not suitable for a terrestrial aerial input in any case.

Global Invacom Ltd Distribution

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Satellite Splitter

Just to add that by using a coax splitter you will only be able to view the channel you are watching on the the sky+box

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

would the splitter be something like this

2-Way Satellite Splitter > Maplin

or this:

2 Way F Connector Splitter with DC Bypass - Aerial Shack - TV Aerials,

I have just read on another link that I will need an amplified splitter as my cable is over 10 metres so should I get an amplifed splitter or one that is shown in the links above

Also meant to ask, the RF2 Output that I have ran, actually goes in to the loft , it was connected to my TV in the bedroom, I had a TV link ( same as this tvLINK-Black) connected so I could control the sky programs via remote.

Foolishy , I changed my TV and took the TV link out direct and put it in my new TV, the TV link no longer works, the red light does not come on. I assuming Ive blown it.

I have bought a new TV link and that doesnt come on either!!.

so gave up...........just settled for the chanel that was on my box I got in my bedroom!! I f i wanted to watch something in my bedroom I would put the channel on before goin to bed!

A few months later I installed a TV in my daughters bedroom, I split the Cable running from the RF2 output into the loft Y aerial splitter like this one (2-Into-1 Coax Y Adaptor > Maplin)

we dont get sky at all in the bedrooms now.

I assume its because Im using the wrong type of splitter and its not deciphering the signals. I would like to be able to correct this so my question is:

I f I use an amplified splitter running from the RF2 Output at the back of the sky box, one cable will run into my kitchen as planned, the other will run into the loft , form here Can I split it using another Amplified so it goes to 2 TVs or not?

Is possible ?

Can you give me a link where I can get the suitable kit from that I need ?

Many Thanks again, great help by the way, glad I found this site!!!

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

I have already pointed out that you do NOT need to do anything to the feeds form your dish.
      The link I gave above shows you the sort of TV Link distribution amplifiers you need to extend your RF2 signal.

marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

One of the problems with the TV Link is the unit is powered from the sat box. RF plugs are notorious for the centre core being loose in the plug. whilst this is not a problem for RF signals, it will prevent the power reaching the TV link. It is also too easy for the braided cable to reach the centre wire and short out. Dismantle the plug, bend the centre wire so it is a tighter fit when re-connected and refit making sure the braided strands are out of the way neatly. For a better result, either solder the wire in place, or change ALL the plugs for the type that have screws in to clamp the cable.

I wanted to link all the tv's in the house to the sky box so bought a 6 way splitter amplifier and fitted it in the loft. Ran a cable uplink from the RF2 output from the sky up to the splitter then took a downlink to each telly in the house including the computer. Each having it's own tv link.

Aerial Amplifiers with Digital Bypass > Maplin

Ok, we can only watch and change one sky channel, but of course can choose any other terrestrial channel.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry Penryhn, I missed the link,

Many Thanks again

Exchange:
      Thanks

Martin

You have done more or less what I want to do, except the cable I have ran from the kitchen goes outside and round the house and back in to where the sky box sits in the living room, it doesnt go into the loft.

I am wondering if i could run a cable from RF2 port into the amp and then connect my cable that runs into the kitchen to it and also the cable that runs into my loft

Could I then use another amplifier to run 2 cables into 2 different bedrooms from the loft or is that not feasible ?

cheers for all the replies so far!

Great Help

marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I wouldn't recommend fitting two boosters. You can "over amplify" a signal, and of course you will be boosting the noise (interference) too which may cause picture problems.

Try it first using a simple "Y" splitter in the RF2 outlet to supply both kitchen and loft amplifier. Because the "Y" splitter halves the signal to each, depending on the terrestrial signal strength, the picture may show signs of grain or ghosting. If it does, fit the "Y" into the RF1 outlet supplying the main TV instead. That way, the loft gets a full signal, the kitchen gets some signal, and you probably don't use the RF input on the main TV much anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast