Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Satellite Splitter

This is a discussion on Satellite Splitter within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Martin Thanks for the reply, I used a Y splitter in the loft and and dont get a Sky ...

pmcl123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Satellite Splitter

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply, I used a Y splitter in the loft and and dont get a Sky picture on any of the bedroom tvs.

If I run a bit of coax from the RF2 output from the back of the Sky box to the Y splittertand then connect the 2 connections to ( loft and kitchen) to it, you reckon that will work ? I wasnt sure a normal Y splitter would work as it doesnt in the loft.

If it doesnt or the picture aint too good, are you saying connect the Y connector to RF1 port on the back of the sky box and connect the kitchen cable to it, leaving the loft cable on RF2 port ?

I thought RF1 connection was for my input from the LNB ? sorry if that sounds stupid.

Ive just looked at a diagram on the net, I am stupid!! Whats the RF1 port used for then ?

Need to look at the back of the sky box when i get home!
      Last edited by pmcl123; 09-04-09 at 12:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thinking about it, the "Y" splitter may have other problems, they contain other components which may stop the i-link from working. They may also be directional too and you end up with a male/female plug connection problem.

There are three RF connections on the back of the Sky box. One obviously is the terrestrial aerial in and the RF1 is usually the primary RF out to the main TV (which if you are using a Scart or HDMI lead, is not required unless watching terrestrial stations). The RF2 outlet is a "spare" to allow connections to other equipment.

It is possible if the splitter gave no signal in the loft it is because the signal is not strong enough to provide digital TV. Did you try it on analogue?

If you have a splitter try it in the RF1 outlet and connect both the main and kitchen tv's to it and see if you get a picture.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You might find the diagrams on this page helpful:
      Split Digibox RF outlet for other TVs

Goodair06 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AOL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi, is it not possible to have 2 sky boxes on top of each other, both connected to the dish via a splitter like this one ( 2-Way Satellite Splitter > Maplin ), then use a scart video sender with a built-in remote control sensor, connected to the second sender to be able to watch sky in another room AND be able to watch 2 separate channels on either box?
      A reply would be much appreciated.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You would only be able to recieve 1 of the 4 polarities at any time on both boxes as 1 box will be controling the LNB and having 2 standard boxes on top of eachother will mean the remote will send the same commands to both boxes, unless you can successfully screen the IR eye on one of them. To be honest, you have very little chance of a quality set up using the equipment you've described. Best advice is to do it properly!!

Goodair06 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AOL
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply,
      I don't really know what a lot of these terms are i.e polarities/LNB/IR eye, and with the remote control issue, would it not send the commands through the scart, therefore working with only one box?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodair06 View Post
      Hi, thanks for the reply,
      I don't really know what a lot of these terms are i.e polarities/LNB/IR eye, and with the remote control issue, would it not send the commands through the scart, therefore working with only one box?
      The LNB (which is the box on the end of the arm on the dish that deals with the signal) has two polarities, Horizontal and Vertical, the Sky receiver sends a voltage up to the LNB to select which one it needs as different channels or on different polarities.

So connecting two receivers to one LNB by splitting the signal will not work as they may need to send different voltages to the LNB if they are on different channels (which they will be otherwise you wouldn't need two).

The standard way to achieve two receivers is to use a quad LNB, as the name describes, it has four seperate outputs, two for each Sky+ or SkyHD receiver, it is basically four LNB's in one.

The other issue is that when the two receivers are next two each other, as they both use the same remote, you would swap channel on one and the other would also do it as they would both see the infared (IR) signal from the remote control.

You could use the buttone on the top of the receivers but this will soon annoy you.

The easiest way would be to put the receivers in the rooms where the TV's are and just run two cables from the dish to each, job done.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

LNB is the electronics on your dish. The sky box selects polarity by means of a voltage and a 22kHz tone, you don't need to know any more than this!! The IR Eye is the little diode in your sky box that receives the infra red signal from thye remote.
      If the 2 boxes are on top of eachother, when you use the remote, it will send the same commands to both boxes if you use the remote in the same room. If you only use the remote on the tv connected to the video sender, that will work. The only way to have 2 seperate boxes on the same RF network is to use a Global SPC4 wich will allow you to set up a remote to work each box independantly.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      The sky box selects polarity
      No, it selects polarisation.
      Glossary of Television Terms
      The polarity remains unchanged. Centre wire is positive.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

pedantic again Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast