Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Question about upgrading Sky Basic to Sky +

This is a discussion on Question about upgrading Sky Basic to Sky + within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, Recently moved house and my new one already had a dish on the wall, and wiring into 2 ...

Tycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question about upgrading Sky Basic to Sky +

Hi all,

Recently moved house and my new one already had a dish on the wall, and wiring into 2 seperate rooms in the house. As I had a Sky basic subscription and a standard sky box anyway, I bough a second hand box for the second room that was wired up so I could watch sky in either room (I only have 1 card as I dont subscribe to multiroom - i just plug it into the box in whichever room I want to watch TV in at the time )

I want to upgrade to Sky + (at least in my main living room) but I dont want to loose the ability to watch in the spare room (don't want to take out a multiroom Sub for the second room as i only ever use one box or the other).

If I get a Sky+ box for the living room, will I still be able to use the card in my 'standard' box in the spare room - or will I get a new card that will only work in a Sky+ box?

Also - I've seen some posts that say a sky+ box will need 2 feeds from the dish, if this is the case will I have to loose the cable going into the spare room to be the second feed for the main box?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, bit I'm not overly technical!!

Thanks in advance
      Tycho

2. Advertisement
      sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Question about upgrading Sky Basic to Sky +

1) sky don't change your card and if you subscribe to sky you will have to ring them to enable the plus box so you can record but that's free as long as you take out a new 12 mts subscription with what ever package you have with them.

2) you do need 2 cables from your dish to the plus box

The only other way is to change your LMB to a 4 way one if you only have to cables coming from your dish

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Re: Question about upgrading Sky Basic to Sky +

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
      Hi all,

Recently moved house and my new one already had a dish on the wall, and wiring into 2 seperate rooms in the house. As I had a Sky basic subscription and a standard sky box anyway, I bough a second hand box for the second room that was wired up so I could watch sky in either room (I only have 1 card as I dont subscribe to multiroom - i just plug it into the box in whichever room I want to watch TV in at the time )

I want to upgrade to Sky + (at least in my main living room) but I dont want to loose the ability to watch in the spare room (don't want to take out a multiroom Sub for the second room as i only ever use one box or the other).

If I get a Sky+ box for the living room, will I still be able to use the card in my 'standard' box in the spare room - or will I get a new card that will only work in a Sky+ box?

Also - I've seen some posts that say a sky+ box will need 2 feeds from the dish, if this is the case will I have to loose the cable going into the spare room to be the second feed for the main box?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, bit I'm not overly technical!!

Thanks in advance
      Tycho
      You need two feeds to operate Sky+ properly, with one feed you can only record one channel at a time and you can't watch a different channel at the time the recording is being done. (Two feeds allow you to record two channels at the same time or record one and watch a second.)

The setup I have is a Sky+ box in the living room and a cable coming from the RF2 outlet at the back of the box to the kitchen with a magic eye on it. This means I am able to change the channel in the kitchen as well as the living room. The TV in the kitchen is a Freeview digital TV so if someone wants to watch a different programme than in the living room then it can be done on Freeview. The advantage of this setup is that Sky+ is available in the kitchen and I don't have to take the card out of one box and put it in another.

There are several ways you could set up your system depending on whether you want to keep two digiboxes or have just one Sky+ with a magic eye in the second room.

I also have a feed to the bedroom but won't confuse you how to do that unless it is something you want to know how to do.