Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multiroom: Sky's letter about a second phone line

This is a discussion on Multiroom: Sky's letter about a second phone line within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; We recently moved into a new house and wanted Multiroom. The Sky engineer said there should be a phone line ...

msm
      msm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Multiroom: Sky's letter about a second phone line

We recently moved into a new house and wanted Multiroom. The Sky engineer said there should be a phone line in the second room, but he installed Multiroom anyway. Sky have now written saying that if it isn't connected to a phone line, they will charge it as a full separate subscription.

What's the best way to deal with this? Is there a way around getting a phone extension fitted? If there isn't, must BT do it or can any competent electrician do it?

2. Advertisement
      gerrygerry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bellshill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Multiroom: Sky's letter about a second phone line

Why not just buy a wireless phone extension, I picked one up in maplans for 40

This is the one I bought http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15
      Last edited by gerrygerry; 10-03-09 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added link to item
      Gerry (The MOTH)

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fitting a phone extension is simple, the harders par is working out which way to run the cable from the master socket.

A good DIYer or an electrician or satellite installer should be able to do this for you if you can find no other volunteers.

I'm pretty sure the Sky installer should have done something for you though

stockportsaint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

buy an telephone socket extension reel, plug it into the Sky Box, go through the Line test in Services (??), leave it plugged in for a few days, then unplug it again. Mine's not been connected for months 'cos the socket it used became knackered. Not heard a dicky bird from them about it.

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Whoooa! Why should MSM spend money to put this right???

The Sky engineer who fitted the Multiroom should have ensured it was connected to the same phoneline as the downstairs box - End of...

I think they are allowed to charge a bit more (not sure) if the extension is over a ertain length, but when we originally had Multiroom installed in our old house, e ran it halfway around the building, FOC - although it was a nasty job, stapled to door frames and skirting - BUT he insisted that it HAD to be connected....

How did your engineer perform a callback??? If he was a sub contractor, I believe they don't get paid if there isn't a callback done??

If the install was done in the last 30 days, get onto Sky, they will recall the subbie, if more than 30 days, which I suspect - they will prob send a Sky employee to sort - BUT DO COMPLAIN!

Mike

Let us know what they say!

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stockportsaint View Post
      buy an telephone socket extension reel, plug it into the Sky Box, go through the Line test in Services (??), leave it plugged in for a few days, then unplug it again. Mine's not been connected for months 'cos the socket it used became knackered. Not heard a dicky bird from them about it.
      Not a good idea, once you've had the letter, because Sky's next step is to debit your bank account for two separate Sky boxes at the full rate, if the box doesn't "phone home" when instructed. Sky always wait a couple of months before sending out letters when one box is disconnected, because they obviously understand that people occasionally have to move boxes to decorate, etc.