Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Break-up and freezing

This is a discussion on Break-up and freezing within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by VaughanS Having checked that signal strength and quality were good and all feeds were ok, and resetting ...

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Break-up and freezing

Quote Originally Posted by VaughanS View Post
      Having checked that signal strength and quality were good and all feeds were ok, and resetting the LNB, we found that the problem was resolved simply merely by connecting the new TV to the “VCR” output scart on the digibox. We noticed the picture quality was very slightly reduced, but was worth it to resolve the break-up problem! So - major problem solved - yay! Hope this might be of relevance.
      An interesting side issue however: Having resolved this problem we noticed that our new TV wouldn't automatically change picture format any more to suit the incoming program - but - we thought we would just live with this inconvenience and change format manually from the TV remote. Then, as a means of maximising image quality for those channels that weren't breaking up in the first place, we decided to take both outputs, “TV” out and “VCR” out, from the Panasonic digibox to a multi scart block/switcher, and switch to the digibox "TV” scart socket for those channels that weren't breaking up in the first place. This however had the miraculous effect of returning the auto-format feature of the Bravia TV back to normal when viewing from the “VCR” scart. So we decided not to bother to switch output scarts – just keep the connection on the “VCR” output and to keep the switcher interposed between the digibox and TV to enable the Picture Format Detect to work. Very strange!
      Has anyone else noticed these effects? Does anyone understand what is going on: both in terms of the difference between the digibox “TV” and “VCR” outputs? and the beneficial effect of the scart switcher on Picture Format Detect?

By using the VCR out scart, you have actually used Sams fix! The VCR scart does not carry RGB. So you have switched to composite! Additionally the VCR scart output does not carry the aspect ratio signalling, done by changing the voltage on pin 8 of the scart. The VCR scart output is only ever on or off, it does not signall 4:3 or 16:9.

2. Advertisement
      BoyElectric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01275
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Since switching from RGB to PAL output it has occured to me that the SCART cable/connection could be the problem as I assume different pins are used (?) depending on which output type is selected. However, as the reduction of picture quality on PAL is so minimal, I haven't bothered to test this yet. I'll let you know when I do . . .

Mattey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oakengates
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VaughanS View Post
      I have a Panasonic Sky Digibox too, which until our recent purchase of a new Bravia LCD TV (KDL 40W4500) was giving (largely) break-up-free viewing on our old CRT TV
      Hi there,

We have been having this problem lately with our Panasonic Sky Digibox also.

When we had our Sanyo CRT TV every channel worked perfectly fine, no break ups, no skipping of sound e.t.c

Ever since we got our new Phillips HDTV 32PFL8404H it has been breaking up, sound cutting out on all these channels basically as the OP said.

National Geo
      National Geo +1
      Bloomberg
      ESPN Classic
      Sky 2
      CBS channels
      Sky Sports News
      Eurosport
      Military Channel
      History Channel & +1
      Hallmark Channel

There is more that do it but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Channels like BBC, ITV, Sky Sports 1 & 2, Comedy Central, Sky One, Sky Three, are absolutely fine.

I will give some of the suggestions a try in this thread, but if that doesn't sort it i think it is time we went back to Virgin Media as Sky won't sort this out for free it seems unlike Virgin who would do it for free.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Have a look at Sky Digibox problems for known problems, especially with Panasonics.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattey View Post

I will give some of the suggestions a try in this thread, but if that doesn't sort it i think it is time we went back to Virgin Media as Sky won't sort this out for free it seems unlike Virgin who would do it for free.
      Why do you expect Sky to fix your old box for free? Its old and out of warranty.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      Why do you expect Sky to fix your old box for free? Its old and out of warranty.
      why? cause when I was with Virgin they replaced our boxes for free whenever there was a fault that wasn't down to us, it isn't like we've just threw it out the window & then expect a free replacement, this has gone **** up through no fault of our own. I know Sky aren't a charity but when you've been with a company for nigh on 10 years & they want god knows how much to replace something you pay for monthly, it is quite bad in my eyes.

Anyway I've tried the fixes in the stickies at the top of the forums & none of those worked.
      Last edited by Mattey; 10-12-09 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks

Virgin maintain their boxes because the equipment belongs to them - not you. It remains their property for the duration of your subscription. With Sky, the box becomes your property forever after the minimum contract period is up. After that time, you are responsible for its upkeep.

As for your problem, I would think the tuner or the LNB is faulty. If you read the link to Sky Digibox problems, and scroll down to Panasonics, you will see some known faults that may be causing your problems. The problem channels you mention above are all mostly low band, and this problem with older Panasonics is specifically mentioned in the link.

You could get Sky out for Ł65, and they'll get you up-and-running ( replacement box and, if necessary, a new LNB ), or you can attempt a fix yourself. I know which I'd go for.

Good luck.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      snip.
      Many thanks for that I have tried some of the suggestions on that site.

We have an old pace sky box here from my sister, If I was to link that up & put our viewing card in would it work straight away or do I need to ring Sky to pair the box & card?

Thanks

You'll get something straight away. If you don't get any 'No Satellite Signal' messages on your old ( non subscription ) problem channels especially, the chances are the LNB is good, then you can phone Sky and get the card paired to the Pace.

ps. make sure the digiboxes are switched OFF at the mains when unplugging/plugging sat cables.
      Last edited by Kenedin; 10-12-09 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      You'll get something straight away. If you don't get any 'No Satellite Signal' messages on your old ( non subscription ) problem channels especially, the chances are the LNB is good, then you can phone Sky and get the card paired to the Pace.

ps. make sure the digiboxes are switched OFF at the mains when unplugging/plugging sat cables.
      Many thanks Kenedin you have been most helpful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast