Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Box meltdown

This is a discussion on Box meltdown within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello New to this so please bear with me. Our SKY+ box died on Tuesday night whilst we were away ...

AnnieK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Box meltdown

Hello
      New to this so please bear with me.

Our SKY+ box died on Tuesday night whilst we were away and nothing has recorded since. It sits on standby and although the red button appears on both the remote and the sky box, nothing happens. We have to switch it off at the wall, then switch back on, wait and then select a channel. Once on this channel we cannot change channels or put the box back on standby so you can imagine how much of a pantomine it is when three programmes are running concurrently that we want to watch-thank god for long adverts.

Also anything on the planner freezes after 10 minutes of watching so the backlog I have sitting there from a week away is unaccessible.

Spoke twice to SKY who talked us through removing the in and out silver cables and re tuning, and removing the scart lead and swapping ends, nothing works. Emailed them Sunday and they have not replied as yet so will try to find a free phone no to contact them again.

Any advice on what we can do ourselves-going to have a problem when programmes start to clash

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Box meltdown

Overheating is the most usual cause of performance problems, so make sure yours is adequately ventilated. Switch it off, unplug, and leave for a few hours ( overnight? ). Try again when it's cool.

If you are prepared to lose recordings, I would then do a Full System Reset. Press Services, 4, 0, 1 - ( the 0 & 1 commands do not appear on your screen ), and press Select again. This brings you to the Installer Setup. Select Option 8 - Full System Reset. Please not that this will delete all current and planned recordings. The box will then reset itself, and will be left in standby mode. Wait a couple of mins, then press Sky to restart.

See if that works.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Kenedin-will try this tonight, I would rather lose what I have saved to be able to watch TV again!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just to say that it worked a treat and whilst I did lose what I had stored I have found out where I can watch free catch up for two of the programmes and will get the box set for the other one so thanks for your help-easy when you know how but I didn't want to blow anything up.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Glad it worked. Just a reminder also to do regular Planner Rebuilds, to keep your recordings in good order. The Planner Rebuilds do not delete anything, they just tidy up the file system in the Planner.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),