Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installation fees and landline issue

This is a discussion on Installation fees and landline issue within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; A friend of mine wants to have a SKY TV subscription and wants to know if he can avoid paying ...

w4tt4n4b3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Installation fees and landline issue

A friend of mine wants to have a SKY TV subscription and wants to know if he can avoid paying the 60 pounds installation fee.
      I get the impression that if he buys the device not from SKY but by a legit reseller he can avoid that.

Also he does not have a landline. As far as I know there is a term in the Sky contract that obliges sky tv subscribers/customers to keep the device connected to a BT landline.
      If he buys the Sky device from a reseller does he have to abide by the BT landline rule?
      And then he just calls Sky and ask for a subscription?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Thanks

Re: Installation fees and landline issue

Buying from a non-subsidised supplier should mean you don't need a phone line as the phone line requirement is linked to Sky subsidised equipment.

For a completely new installation the 60 charge includes the supply and fitting of the dish and wiring to the box. In my opinion that's a very good deal and unless you already have a dish and wiring on the house it will be difficult to better.

The requirement for a BT line is non-negotiable if you buy the kit from Sky. But Sky heavily subsidised equipment and buying from a non-subsidised source may mean you pay many times more than the 60 installation fee (and still have to have it installed).

At the moment you can have a Sky HD+ for under 50 and installation for 60 so that's 110.. If you go out and buy a Freesat equivalent to Sky+ HD then it will cost over 350 to buy and have installed. Buying Sky from a 3rd party will probably show similar price differences.

The problem is you can't cherry pick the best parts from individual deals. And don't forget that the landline also qualifies you for completely free Broadband and free evening/weekenf land line calls.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The problem is that the box is going to be bought in the UK but sent outside UK. Payment will be arranged via UK bank account and direct debit. It won't be installed in the UK.
      So is it possible to buy the equipment from a retailer and then get a SKy subscription where the payment will be arranged via monthly direct debit associated to a uk bank account?
      And something else. The card to be paired with the sky box is it necessary to be done after the dish, box etc are installed?

I also heard that if you pay 25pounds you can get subscription over non telephone line. Is this valid as we speak?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am fairly sure Sky subscriptions bought here only cover UK and RoI. For use in another country, there are resellers who give out cards, but I am not sure if all of these are legal. I am sure someone here has experience of Sky in Spain or Portugal etc and can give you definitive answers.

If you don't get any replies, try Googling for sky in spain or whichever country applies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky is for UK only. But sky does not mind a lot to have some thousands subscribers outside UK, they bring a lot of money after all...
      There are people in Greece that have Sky for 12 or so years...
      We will see what happens. If I get the standard box I can have it without a landline if I pay a one-off fee of 25 pounds. So I will go for this probably...
      My friend said he will use it for a while in the UK but because he lives half year in Greece he said he will ask Sky if he can move it according to his whereabouts...
      We will negotiate a special contract if it is feasible.
      We will see.
      Thank you all.
      Last edited by w4tt4n4b3; 12-02-09 at 09:08 PM.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I recommend buying the Digibox then phoning Sky for a "second hand contract". Fill out the form they send, post it back, and they'll send a viewing card to your (UK) address. Εντακσι;

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Do NOT tell Sky you want to take it outside the UK.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Radford View Post
      I recommend buying the Digibox then phoning Sky for a "second hand contract". Fill out the form they send, post it back, and they'll send a viewing card to your (UK) address. Εντακσι;
      Thank you very much...
      Critical question. When they send the card will it be activated or do we have to put in the box to get it activated? And if we have to place it in the box should the box be connected to the satellite dish when activation takes place?

And something else. If we ask for a second hand contract, could we pay the subscription via uk bank account and with direct debit (monthly installments)?

I have a suspicion that Sky do not accept incoming calls from outside UK. So if my friend in UK has to call for the activation he won't be able to have the digibox connected and turned on...
      If anyone knows any details about the activation procedure. We are talking about Standard digibox not connected to a landline...
      You got it almost right... It is εντάξει...
      Last edited by w4tt4n4b3; 15-02-09 at 07:39 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by w4tt4n4b3 View Post
      Thank you very much...
      Critical question. When they send the card will it be activated or do we have to put in the box to get it activated? And if we have to place it in the box should the box be connected to the satellite dish when activation takes place?
      You must activate it and pair it to the receiver when it arrives, the card must be in the correct receiver and it must be up and running as the card receives the signal via the satellite.

And something else. If we ask for a second hand contract, could we pay the subscription via uk bank account and with direct debit (monthly installments)?
      Yes

I have a suspicion that Sky do not accept incoming calls from outside UK. So if my friend in UK has to call for the activation he won't be able to have the digibox connected and turned on...
      Not sure over the UK only calls but Sky send a signal to the receiver to activate the card so it must be in and turned on when they do this. The will also need the details from the receiver, serial number etc. They will talk you through this on the phone as they do it so you may find it difficult to con them if your not doing it yourself with the correct details and receiver connected and working in front of you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I read somewhere that you have to be able to receive Sky news and have the tv tuned in to a Sky channel when activation takes place...

But do you have to do more? This can be done without even being at home.

edit: If I combine all proposals the best choice is the following. Buy a box, get a second hand contract, get the card and then get the box and card to someone that already has sky, connect the box to his dish, call sky, activate the card and then send the box with the card in to me...
      Besides complicated how does it sound?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast