Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Installation fees and landline issue

This is a discussion on Installation fees and landline issue within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Buy a box, get a second hand contract, get the card and then get the box and card to someone ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Installation fees and landline issue

Buy a box, get a second hand contract, get the card and then get the box and card to someone that already has sky, connect the box to his dish, call sky, activate the card and then send the box with the card in to me...
      As long as who does it realises that their own card and box probably will not work after activating a new card and box, unless they are prepared to subscribe to multi room, which opens another can of worms.

To be honest I think you are complicating things for yourself. It would be much easier to buy a box, take it out to Greece and use one of the local companies to set it up and supply a card. Remember the box is not all you need, you also need a dish and the necessary wiring.

http://www.skygreece.tv/ might be a good start.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      w4tt4n4b3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Local tv companies demand 200+ euros each year beside the subscription fee...
      200+ euros is not a small amount of money if you already pay nearly 500 for the subscription...

Are the receivers-boxes paired with the satellite dish as well? I mean I am not going to use his box to activate my card. I will use my box and my card, I'll just connect it to his satellite dish for a few minutes...

Thanks

Are the receivers-boxes paired with the satellite dish as well? I mean I am not going to use his box to activate my card. I will use my box and my card, I'll just connect it to his satellite dish for a few minutes...
      I am not certain how it is done, but here is what happened to me. I upgraded to from Sky+ to HD and thinking it may work, I gave the installer a spare card I had to activate the HD. HD was activated and worked fine. I then put my Sky+ box on with its previously activated card thinking I could watch the recordings I had on it, I got the message to phone Sky as it was the wrong card. So from that I deduced that, unless you have multi-room, you can only have one card activated per address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well the address of my friend will be different to the address of the satellite dish we are going to use. Declared address will be his real address. We are just going to connect it to another sat dish just to get it activated. We won't connect it to any phone line cause I will get the standard digibox.

When you connected your sky+ again was it connected to the phone line? Did you have the the sky+ connected at the same time with the Sky hd box?

Honest to be what you say must not be valid in the following sense. If I buy the package from a greek company as you say, they are going to activate the card in the uk. So how am I going to get it work with a new satellite dish in my country?

Thanks

Yes, it was connected and disconnected from the phone line, tried it both ways. No it was not connected at the same time as the HD, I don't have the cables to do that.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

But if the receiver-card are declared in one address where there is no other box and we get it activated in another place without connecting it to the phone line how are they going to know that it is being activated from an address that already another box exists?

Thanks

I don't know exactly how the activation process works, but I believe it is done by satellite and is renewed each month as long as the subscriptions are paid. You do have to phone to start the process off.

I am sure you have friends in Greece who can advise you what is the best thing to do better than I can and I hope everything works out for you. With this foul weather we are having, I wish I were in Greece, preferably Rhodes, now.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Weather is not always perfect here but I know is a lot better than in the UK...

Thank you anyways...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12